Syncthing prevent disk spin down

cjmdk

Dabbler
Have any of you managed to spin down the pool (disks) where Syncthing is installed?

On my system Syncthing (v. 1.15.1) keep the disk busy. Stopping that plugin idle the disk immediately.
  1. Syncthing is installed out-of-box (using the IX System supported plugin)
  2. Mount points for Syncthing share pool with the Jails
  3. All my Syncthing Folders are configured to daily rescans
  4. File versioning is not active, why I hardly think updating the .stfolder is what keeps the disks active.
  5. I have another pool for data only. All these disks spin down without problems
1624311073797.png

1624311088301.png

1624311132224.png

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Is your system dataset also on that pool?

hescominsoon

Patron
having the disks always running isn't a bad thing. I have drives that have been on constantly for more than 5 years. now if you have a ton of drives then the power savings can be significant...some drives are around 5-10w and if you are talking 8 or more then that can be a noticeable power savings..:)

cjmdk

Dabbler
Is your system dataset also on that pool?
Nope. The system dataset is located on a dedicated ssd.
Right now the only jail I have running on this pool is Syncthing, why it is easy to say what is causing the activity.

cjmdk

Dabbler
if you have a ton of drives then the power savings can be significant...some drives are around 5-10w
Full agree! And as a home user I do not need 24x7 spinning disks ;-)
Do you have any idea of how I help saving our planet (by preventing the disks from running all time)?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Right now the only jail I have running on this pool is Syncthing, why it is easy to say what is causing the activity.
I would recommend to validate this by temporarily disabling Syncthing, just to be sure.

cjmdk

Dabbler
temporarily disabling Syncthing, just to be sure
That I have tried. Pls look at screenshot from my initial post. Nothing else than Synching operate on this pool.

cjmdk

Dabbler
I would recommend to validate this by temporarily disabling Syncthing
Just curious: does the disks spin down on your environment.. If yes, what is your syncthing configuration?

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Just curious: does the disks spin down on your environment.. If yes, what is your syncthing configuration?
I never use spin-down because it reduces the drives' lifetime. Especially now that I have Seagate Exos drives. In terms of Syncthing, I have not used the ready-made plugin, but installed it manually in a Jail. For doing so, I basically followed the steps in one of Tom Lawrence's videos (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkER4b5JX8g&t=444s)

cjmdk

Dabbler
I have not used the ready-made plugin, but installed it manually in a Jail. For doing so, I basically followed the steps in one of Tom Lawrence's
Thank you for clarification. I should consider leaving the disks running as well (2.5” are not that energy heavy).
Tom, he is a great inspiration for me too :smile: