SOLVED Syncthing over OpenVPN

CubicSphere

Dabbler
Has anyone attempted to route the syncthing plugin through an openvpn client service? The client service connects to the server and the route is added to the system, but I cannot get syncthing to route through the openvpn tunnel from inside the jail. I've tried playing around with ipfw - not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Whattteva

Wizard
Syncthing does not need any extra configuration or VPN. It uses relay servers. One of the nice things about Syncthing really.

The web UI, though, might need the VPN, but you shouldn't be needing to use the web UI much though after the initial setup unless you constantly change your shared folders.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
In addition to @Whattteva has written, at least to me your network setup is not really clear. Some kind of picture would be helpful here.

Also, I would strongly recommend to have the OpenVPN parts on the router/firewall and the client where they belong. I do have something like running here without any issues. OpenVPN on pfSense behind FritzBox and Syncthing in Jail on TrueNAS Core.

CubicSphere

Dabbler
Syncthing does not need any extra configuration or VPN. It uses relay servers. One of the nice things about Syncthing really.
Yes, it already works just fine. Syncthing does switch to a p2p connection when the hole-punching works though and it does attempt to connect locally when possible. That's what I'm trying to do - to allow syncthing to connect through the LAN address through OpenVPN. I guess I don't strictly need it, but I'd like to set it up just because I can.
Some kind of picture would be helpful here.
j28gd8.svg

I would strongly recommend to have the OpenVPN parts on the router/firewall and the client where they belong
I agree. I want to set up pfSense on both sides, just didn't get to it yet.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
I agree. I want to set up pfSense on both sides, just didn't get to it yet.
Well, it might actually be simpler to do it that way. Apart from the fact that you avoid putting in time for a workaround. My $0.02 :smile:

CubicSphere

Dabbler
For anyone reading this in the future, I figured it out! I was attaching the NAT to the wrong interface. NAT that will happen at the VPN boundary has to be attached to the VPN's interface, tun1.

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Thanks for the feedback and glad you made it work :smile:.

If possible, would you mind marking this thread as solved?