Supermicro X11SSH-CTF vs X11SSM-F - Energy Consumption

Grinchy

Explorer
Hello,

I'm thinking of buying a new MB for my NAS System.

Right now I'm thinking of getting an Supermicro X11SSH-CTF or X11SSM-F. I would prefer the X11SSH-CTF (Could get it even cheaper than the X11SSM-F), but I'm unsure about the Power Consumption.

Right now (!!) I won't need the LSI3008 SAS Adapter (Using 8 Sata Drives atm) or the X550 10G Adapter (Using SFT+ 10G Card). But i think that could change in the Future, so it would be great to have the Option. But the X550 and LSI3008 seems to use quit a lot of Power (About 10-15W each).

Will the LSI3008 Consume Power if there's nothing plugged into the Port? Will the X550 take less Power while using it with 1Gbit?

Sorry for this a bit "special" Question, but Electricity is quiet expensive in Germany. I'm rely unsure about doubling the NAS's Idle Power Consumption for something I won't need right away, even when it would be nice to have.

Thank you!

ChrisRJ

Wizard
Sorry, not an answer. But just out of curiosity (and being from Germany myself), what are your current system's power consumption and specification?

Grinchy

Explorer
Right now I have about ~45-50W @ Idle. Using an Pentium G4560, 64GB ECC Ram and 8x HGST 12TB Drive in Z2.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Power consumption might be marginally less, but not a lot. A HBA is essentially a PowerPC computer in its own right, dedicated to running the controller firmware. It can certainly run hotter if it is very busy, but the 2008 based ones still burn most of their watts when idle. Ditto for ethernet controllers. I do not have specific power deltas for your particular bits of hardware.