SuperMicro X11SCL IPMI not working after upgrade to 12.x

gwaitsi

Patron
My IPMI interface on my supermicro x11scl is no longer working since upgrading to v12 from 11 U5.

It was previously working, i have tried changing from static IP to DHCP and it doesn't pull a DHCP address, although the eth port indicates it is up on both the device and switch.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
If you can log in via SSH there's a few things you can try. From my notes:

Resets the management console without rebooting the BMC

# ipmitool mc reset warm

Reboots the BMC

# ipmitool mc reset cold

If this fails to restore usability of the interface, you can also attempt a cold reset from Supermicro's IPMICFG.

# ipmicfg -nm reset

Finally, you can reset the BMC to factory defaults with IPMICFG or ipmitool. Be aware that this will wipe any existing settings on the BMC that you may have set from the web interface, but excludes network settings.

# ipmicfg -fd

or

# ipmitool raw 0x3c 0x40

To reset your network settings along with the factory reset, use the following IPMICFG command:

# ipmicfg -fde

gwaitsi

Patron
ipmitool mc reset warm
gives: ipmi0: KCS: Failed to read address

also seeing
ipmi0: KCS: Failed to read address
ipmi0[5799]: Last message 'KCS: Failed to read ' repeated 1 times, suppressed by syslog-ng on nas.net.lan
ipmi0: Failed to reset watchdog

ipmi0: KCS: Failed to start write

gwaitsi

Patron
This appears to be a bug with v12 of Truenas.

i originally thought it might have been an issue with pfsense as i could communicate via netgear switches and openwrt.

In the end, it was not.

I managed to get this working by;
- setting to DHCP in the graphical interface
- using;
ipmitool lan set 1 vlan id off
ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x0c 1 0 - failover off
ipmitool lan set 1 vlan id 1
ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x0c 1 2 - failover on

I had to use DHCP and set a static address in the server, and that got it to come to life.
I think the gui is not writing correctly, and I note on boot up, I get the below error (which I didn't under 11.3U5)

ipmi0: Failed to reset watchdog

notwithstanding the above, it is working now.

Evertb1

Guru
This won't help you with your problem but this thread made me curious. I always have been under the impression that the BMC chip forms an autonomous sub system operating independently of the host system's CPU, firmware (BIOS or UEFI) and operating system. Looking at it that way an upgrade of the OS on the host should not be able to disrupt the working of the IMPI system should it?

gwaitsi

Patron
This won't help you with your problem but this thread made me curious. I always have been under the impression that the BMC chip forms an autonomous sub system operating independently of the host system's CPU, firmware (BIOS or UEFI) and operating system. Looking at it that way an upgrade of the OS on the host should not be able to disrupt the working of the IMPI system should it?

The gui writes to the config for the interface. I was using a static IP address, and it had no problem under v11.3.
Using the ipmitool to write the config a number of times, and it works. Making a change to the gui breaks it.

To suggest there is a bug with the config they are writing to the interface. the key seems to be in writing
ipmitool lan set 1 vlan id 1
ipmitool raw 0x30 0x70 0x0c 1 2 - failover on

mine is working so long as not long as the gui config is not modified

Evertb1

Guru
I am not that much of a network guy. I know just enough to configure my home network (it works by the way :smile: ). For me it is sufficient to assign a "static" IP adress to my BMC on my DHCP server.

gwaitsi

Patron
I am not that much of a network guy. I know just enough to configure my home network (it works by the way :smile: ). For me it is sufficient to assign a "static" IP adress to my BMC on my DHCP server.
yes, it works for me too.....providing the ipmitool is used and not the gui. whether it is an issue between the bios and the ipmitool (assuming the gui is a front end to the commands), or is a gui bug....who knows, but there is an issue with one of the components

jgreco

Resident Grinch

It certainly can if you're using a shared port (host and BMC share a single port); in such a case, networking configuration can cause problems.

It shouldn't otherwise, but the design of IPMI is such that a host is allowed to tinker with the IPMI, which is suboptimal.

gwaitsi

Patron
It certainly can if you're using a shared port (host and BMC share a single port); in such a case, networking configuration can cause problems.

It shouldn't otherwise, but the design of IPMI is such that a host is allowed to tinker with the IPMI, which is suboptimal.
i'm not using a shared port. IPMI is on a separate vlan to the dual nics which are setup as a lagg interface on a different vlan