Supermicro X10SLL-F and USB boot drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranko Kohime

Dabbler
I figure this motherboard is probably popular enough that others here might have experienced the same thing I am.

I have 2 servers with this motherboard, both were setup with USB thumb drives in mirrors. This issue only relates to the boot drives.

On BOTH systems I've had a drive report too many errors, so as a quick fix rather than determining which drive it was, I stuck another drive in each and tripled the mirror. This resulted in a second failed drive less than a week later on both systems. Diving into the issue, I found that the drives themselves are good, (when tested on other systems), but when trying to resilver them, or later during a scrub or update, they fail with errors or in some cases disappear from the OS entirely as if physically removed.

On both servers, since they have a 3.0 header and these are 3.0 drives, I had attempted to use a header adapter only to find out one of the 3.0 headers is dead on BOTH boards (bought a year apart, BTW). This ended with me moving one drive to the internal 2.0 type-A plug on the motherboard.

Testing has resulted in only one reasonably reliable port per server, which is different for each server.

I don't have any available SATA ports for an SSD, PCIe NVMe drives are a little too expensive for the purpose (and much too much storage to be wasting on a boot drive) (and would they even boot FreeNAS?), but I don't particularly trust a single thumb drive to be reliable enough for my purpose.

Anyone experiencing similar issues, and have a possible workaround?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
had attempted to use a header adapter only to find out one of the 3.0 headers is dead on BOTH boards (bought a year apart, BTW).
That is as designed. The other port in that header is routed to the onboard Type A port.

(and would they even boot FreeNAS?)
Yes they would.

Testing has resulted in only one reasonably reliable port per server, which is different for each server.
Really? That seems weird. We've known USB drives to mostly be incredibly unreliable, but that's not a host-side hardware issue, as far as is known. My X10SLM+-F, for instance, has two USB 2.0 drives (Toshiba) attached to the internal USB 3.0 ports - it's insanely slow for random writes, but it's been absolutely reliable over 2 years.

Stux

MVP
as an addendum to this talk of USB3 header ports. I found some of the dodgy eBay header splitters are defective by design. Ie only one port 'works' if that. Probably due to lack of shielding or something.

Ranko Kohime

Dabbler
as an addendum to this talk of USB3 header ports. I found some of the dodgy eBay header splitters are defective by design. Ie only one port 'works' if that. Probably due to lack of shielding or something.
The one I got is this uxcell one from Amazon, which has generally good reviews, but I also tested with several case headers as well, and no dice.

That is as designed. The other port in that header is routed to the onboard Type A port.
Ehm... The onboard port, which is 2.0, is routed to the 3.0 header? Am I reading that correctly? o_O

Yes they would.
I was under the impression that NVMe was not bootable by FreeNAS yet. Apparently I was reading old info. :)

Stux

MVP
The one I got is this uxcell one from Amazon, which has generally good reviews, but I also tested with several case headers as well, and no dice.

Surprise, Surprise, I can't seem to find any of the rubbish ones I tried on ebay anymore...

Ehm... The onboard port, which is 2.0, is routed to the 3.0 header? Am I reading that correctly? o_O

Isn't the onboard port 3.0?

I was under the impression that NVMe was not bootable by FreeNAS yet. Apparently I was reading old info. :)

FreeNAS supports NVMe. Your BIOS needs to support NVMe booting. NVMe drives sometimes need UEFI booting support too (Samsung's work off "Legacy", whereas Intel might not)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Status
Not open for further replies.