SuperMicro X10SL7-F

Status
Not open for further replies.

grep137

Dabbler
1) What is the recommendation for 8 GB memory modules for the Super Micro X10SL7-F? Seems like needle in a hay stack mine field of choices!

2) Which is better, 1.35v or 1.5v 1600 memory modules??

3) What is the difference between the X10SL7-F-O and the X10SL7-F-B motherboards? C1 // C2 ??

I'm sorry if this is too late...

I have 4, 8GB, 1.35V Samsung modules installed. I ran Memtest 5.01 (with the default settings) overnight and it found no errors. Not sure if the default settings in Memtest are ok for ECC memory.

I found my modules on Superbiiz; however, I was a little suprized that they did not come in a sealed package, but instead in a generic box designed for RAM.

darkod

Dabbler
I recently built a box with this board and used 2 modules 8GB Samsung ECC DDR3-1600 memory. They seem to work fine but I did not run any specific tests. They don't sell as a kit, it's a single 8GB module. Part number: M391B1G73QH0-YK0

dtemp

Dabbler
I bought the M391B1G73BH0-CK0 and it works fine for me. I bought 16GB from SuperBiiz; unfortunately they no longer carry it (if you click "request a quote," they'll get back to you and say they dont have it), so I'm probably going to pay more to upgrade to 32GB from somewhere else even more sketchy. If anyone knows a good place to buy my model number from the USA, I'm all ears.

Sir.Robin

Guru
I've done the same...
Link to the samsung memory: http://www.superbiiz.com/query.php?s=D38GRE160S

However, my board will not even post. I've RMA'ed the board -- and gotten the new one... same results.
Unfortuntely, it's 40 days, and superbiiz will not give me an RMA.

So what to do . . . .

You are sure your PSU is ok? You only need CPU and RAM for the board to post. Check PSU. Trye power on with 1 stick RAM at the time.

Any beep codes?

Z300M

Guru
I've done the same...
Link to the samsung memory: http://www.superbiiz.com/query.php?s=D38GRE160S

However, my board will not even post. I've RMA'ed the board -- and gotten the new one... same results.
Unfortuntely, it's 40 days, and superbiiz will not give me an RMA.

So what to do . . . .
Maybe not much you can do. Maybe SuperBiiz was selling (knowingly or not) Chinese (or other) knockoffs.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

solarisguy

Guru
:oops:

End of the week, my brain needs to rest... I am so sorry, both motherboard and CPU information were right in the signature. I'd better take this weekend off

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
:oops:

End of the week, my brain needs to rest... I am so sorry, both motherboard and CPU information were right in the signature. I'd better take this weekend off

Hate to be the bearer of bad news... but he doesn't have a signature

Sir.Robin

Guru
Just a tip...

This alows me to use SAS drives with normal SATA cables on my LSI controller on the X10SL7:

Attachments

• HP-SAS.jpg
    HP-SAS.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 385

Ziferius

Dabbler
It's an e3-1240 v3 Xeon ...

The PSU.. I did take a known good one.. Because I suspected it at first. The first SP came with bent CPU socket pins..

The IPMI works fine; but doesn't give more info. I'm going to return this non-working crucial memory from Microcenter. I think I may try superbiiz again...

grep137

Dabbler
You are sure your PSU is ok? You only need CPU and RAM for the board to post. Check PSU. Trye power on with 1 stick RAM at the time.

Any beep codes?
Be careful, my brother lost a few drives due to a bad PSU (although I guess everyone has already heard similar stories) and had to replace the circuit boards to recover his data.

In the "Confused about that LSI card? Join the crowd ..." thread pbucher suggested finding it, "via the shell with "dmesg | grep mps" and look for the link that mentions driver & firmware versions."

Would anyone happen to know where to find this information if you don't have FreeNAS installed?

Also, is mps the correct driver for the onboard LSI 2308 in IT mode?

Thank you for the firmware flashing instructions Sir.Robin.

Ziferius

Dabbler
Oh, BTW, no beeps codes unless no ram in in the box.
So I have the samsung....... and a set of Crucial. I read that someone had good luck with it -- and a local computer store had it... Well they had the low powered (1.35volts)... but he posted the 1.5v one.
It doesn't work either, so will have to try it.

So the PSU works fine - it powers my workstation fine, and the board does the same thing.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Be careful, my brother lost a few drives due to a bad PSU (although I guess everyone has already heard similar stories) and had to replace the circuit boards to recover his data.

In the "Confused about that LSI card? Join the crowd ..." thread pbucher suggested finding it, "via the shell with "dmesg | grep mps" and look for the link that mentions driver & firmware versions."

Would anyone happen to know where to find this information if you don't have FreeNAS installed?

Also, is mps the correct driver for the onboard LSI 2308 in IT mode?

Thank you for the firmware flashing instructions Sir.Robin.

Either mps or mpi, but I'd have to check which one it is.
It's in the FreeBSD hardware guide.

grep137

Dabbler
Thank you Ericloewe.

Found this in the FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE Hardware Notes:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.2R/hardware.html

The mps driver supports the following hardware:
LSI Logic SAS2308 (8 Port SAS)

However, I'm having a little trouble finding which version of the mps driver to use for FreeNAS version 9.2.1.5. If it's not too much trouble could you post a link to the FreeBSD Hardware Guide?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Thank you Ericloewe.

Found this in the FreeBSD 9.2-RELEASE Hardware Notes:
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/9.2R/hardware.html

The mps driver supports the following hardware:
LSI Logic SAS2308 (8 Port SAS)

However, I'm having a little trouble finding which version of the mps driver to use for FreeNAS version 9.2.1.5. If it's not too much trouble could you post a link to the FreeBSD Hardware Guide?

You posted it yourself, that's the document.

In any case, the Release Notes for 9.2.1 say mps was updated to v16, so you'll want the v16 firmware.

Sir.Robin

Guru
Oh noes!! Second X10SL7 ordered!! :D

grep137

Dabbler
Ericloewe, thank you for the help again.

Ziferius

Dabbler
Oh noes!! Second X10SL7 ordered!! :D
Where are you getting your memory, if you don't mind me asking?

I've yet to see another board really compare to it, if mine was working. . .
I ordered most of the parts from Amazon. The memory from superbiiz...

X10SL7
E3-1240 v3 Xeon
Corsair CX 500 Watt PSU
2x8gb ddr3-1600 ecc, registered, unbuffered - Samsung: M391B1G73QH0-YK0

Like I mentioned before, the first board from Amazon had a few bent pins on the CPU socket.

This board, looks ok from the pins perspective.
When memory, CPU and power are connected and the system is powered up...
I see the Supermicro logo for a few seconds, then the system resets (just like the reset switch is pushed... The fans briefly stop and so does power... Then it starsts again but no video, ever.

Someone mentioned corsair memory worked for them, so I gave it a shot and no dice... No difference.
Now, if I turn on without memory at all..... I do get beep codes telling me that there isn't memory.

I've tried just one stick or the other of each type of memory, no change.

IPMI does work. Doesn't show anything... Everything of significance is n/a.
Tho, the post snoop code is ff, although I think it is this from the factory.

Supermicro isn't returning my emails at this point. The last email from them was they were going to try some of thar RAM in their lab and get back to me, that was over a week ago.

Any ideas or do I have another lemon in this basket? Like is the memory bad? I've tried the PSU from me workstation and it does the same.
I've found some Hynix memory from http://www.memoryamerica.com/ that is reasonably priced. . . Comparitively. . .

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.