Supermicro mainboard died - migration of HDDs to new hardware

macx979

Dabbler
hey folks,

during a power outage unfortunately the mainboard of my TrueNAS system died. I am not entirely sure if the outage was the reason, since it was backed up by an APC and it shut down gracefully but that's the current situation.
Anyway, since I need this system regularly and wanted to upgrade anyway, I ordered an Asrock Rack D1541D4U-2T8R plus 2x32GB DDR4 ECC RDIMM Ram.

I did an upgrade to TrueNAS 12.0 U6 a day ago and backed up the config during the upgrade procedure. Is this the config backup which is recommended before migrating to new hardware?

my hopes are that switching hardware works as follows:
1. replace the old mainboard with the new D1541D4U-2T8R
2. connect the two boot ssd's to SATA ports on D1541D4U-2T8R
3. connect the "SFF-8087 breakout cable" to SATA Ports on D1541D4U-2T8R (for both backup pool HDD's)
4. connect backplane to onboard LSI SAS3008 controller (for all 6 main pool HDD's)
5. boot up the system

- Is it as easy as this will or I run into a lot of trouble following this procedure?
- will the boot ssd's boot up fine on the new mainboard or is a fresh installation mandatory?
- should I boot the system after step 2 to see if the system boots at all?
- does it make a difference (good or bad) if I plug in the LSI SAS 9207-8i from my current system into the new mainboard first and connect the backplane to it (instead of step 4)?

Of course my main goal is to not corrupt any of the data on these HDD's (even though I have a backup).

help is greatly appreciated.

Best
macx

Is it as easy as this will or I run into a lot of trouble following this procedure?

It really should be about this easy, set correct boot drive and boot. Thats about it.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Seems I just posted this link the other day:

macx979

Dabbler
Alright, thanks for your answers. keep fingers crossed. :smile:

Etorix

Wizard
Add step 1.5 to check if the onboard SAS controller is running on IT firmware, and flash if it isn't.

macx979

Dabbler
Add step 1.5 to check if the onboard SAS controller is running on IT firmware, and flash if it isn't.
good point. Thank you

macx979

Dabbler
just to follow up on this.
I did the mainboard replacement and followed the order mentioned above. Only difference was that I reused the LSI HBA card from the old system, since I realized that I don't have spare mini SAS cables.
Everything worked well and FreeNAS booted as expected. Only networking had be reconfigured. :smile:

One issue I have with my new setup is the power consumption in comparision to the old system. But I guess I open another thread for that.

Best