Supermicro IPMI - FRU Data Not Showing Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yatti420

Wizard
Hi everybody,

Does anybody else not see FRU data for the Supermicro x9 series of boards? Is a complete Supermicro setup required?

Code:
FRU Information
FRU Device ID: 0
Chassis Info:
Chassis Type:
Chassis Part Number:
Chassis Serial Number:
Board Info:
Language: English
Board Manufacturer: Supermicro
Board Product Name:
Board Serial Num:
Board Part Num:
Product Info:
Manufacturer Name:
Product Name:
Product PartNum:
Product Version:
Product SerialNum:
AssetTag:

I also noticed the power consumption page doesn't display any data.. Needs a UPS or compatible power supply?

Tip: For the SuperMicro X9SCL-F make sure watchdog timer is disabled in order to run memtest etc..

Thanks,

JohnK

Patron
It does not seem like you can update information automatically. You can update the FRU information manually using IPMI View. ( I use IPMI View V.2.9.25) I assume this is useful when running multiple servers.
To quote the manual:
Click the “Update FRU” tab to update board information and product information, including information on the manufacturer, the name of firmware,the serial number/ the part number of the motherboard, and the part/model number of the BMC firmware, the version and the serial of the IPMI/BMC firmware.
For Example:
Board Info:
Board Manufacturer: Supermicro
Board Product Name: test
Board Serial Num: test
Board Part Num: test

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Power consumption information requires you to have a power supply wired for PMbus. The more expensive server supplies tend to have them, and then you'll see power usage reported in the IPMI BMC interface, or in ESXi's power utilization, or whatever.

Yatti420

Wizard
Hi Everybody,

Thank you for the replies.. Indeed IPMIView allows you to program the FRU data.. It will then show up in the web gui etc.. I also noitced it's much easier to change if you want a dedicated IPMI.. Shared with Lan0? or failover..

My only complaint is the size of the IPMIView package for windows.. If you administer alot of servers it's great..
Are these power supplies (higher end ?) with pmbus wiring ATX form factor (for desktop pc)or is it for server racks etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.