BUILD Supermicro chassis questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

danjb

Dabbler
I'm looking at some 4U Supermicro chassis for a 24 SATA drive setup using an LSI00244 (9201-16i) SATA / SAS Host Bus Adapter Card. I am trying to puzzle out the Supermicro part numbering conventions. All these SC846xxx-R1200B part numbers seem like they would work, but look like they differ in their backplane configurations:
The LSI HBA has 4 SFF 8087 ports on it. I am wanting to connect 24 SATA drives to this backplane. Which of these would I use? The SC846TQ-R1200B because it has SATA connectors? Are there other cabling / adapters I will need to make all this work?

I found some info relating to this at How exactly does a SAS SFF-8087 breakout cable work? but it seems like it's more oriented towards connecting SAS drives to a SAS backplane. Having only laid hands on SATA drives and never SAS I am not certain as to the best connection approach.

On a related note, I've seen a number of folks recommending going to eBay for used / refurbed Supermicro chassis. Sure enough, I look on Newegg and find a 846E16 for $1,400, but find a refurbed one on eBay for $379. Is it really a $1,000+ difference between new and refurb? Or is something major missing from that eBay one that I would need to buy separately?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Bought mine in eBay and just needed to get Cady screw. Price difference is because there isn't a high demand in the used server market.

Status
Not open for further replies.