Supermicro SC846 Backplane Options

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXAG26

Patron
I'm looking into a Supermicro SC846 series 24-bay case for a project involving SSD's and had a question about the backplane options. I see two different SFF-8087 Mini SAS connector backplanes:

SAS846EL1 and SAS846EL2.

From what I can tell, The EL1 has a single built-in LSI expander that is fed by a single SFF-8087 port (x4 6gb/s ports). On then EL2, there appears to be two separate expanders, each with their own SFF-8087 input.

My question is, can I feed both of the SFF-8087 connectors on the EL2 version from one 8-port HBA, like the LSI 2308, in order to essentially throw 48gb/s of bandwidth at the backplane (vs being limited to 24gb/s with the EL1 version).

I known the EL2 can provide multi-path support for enterprise SAS drives using two separate HBA's for fail-over purposes. Just trying to figure out if more bandwidth can be thrown at the backplane by using one HBA card that is hooked up to both expander chips.

jamiejunk

Contributor
From what I recall the 2nd port is only for expansion or failover. The way you want it to work would mean each port would only control X number on the backplane essentially splitting the backplane...

With that said I have seen backplanes with like 4 connectors and each one of those controlled X number of drives.
Maybe don't listen to me haha.. Supermicro usually has a PDF just for the backplane with good information in them.

jamiejunk

Contributor
You might try emailing support@supermicro.com. I had this same question come up today and looked at the manual. Of course the manual didn't specify. So I emailed. Turns out the backplane I'm using on one of my servers it is indeed X ports control X number of drives. Check out the png they sent me. Granted, this isn't the same backplane you have.
tA7Gtou.png

Status
Not open for further replies.