BUILD Supermicro build / anything to know before i buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_93

Dabbler
Hey Free-NAS community!

It is my first post here, so hello to everyody :)

I spend the last months reading articles about freenas, tutorials, planning the build and so on.
I think i am as ready as i can be. :D

What i have/want:

I already own a Synology DS215j with 2x3TB WD red.
When i got it i never thought about space i need in the future.
Fast forward both drives are full and the DS215j is not capable of things i want to it to do.

I have a backup of all my critical data (around 300GB) stored using a very old core2duo pc running Xpenology (3x500GB drives in Raid 1). Backing up all my critical data once a week.

I want my new build to run FreeNAS.

The main purpose of the new build is to transcode on the fly using plex. (720p, 1080p)
I have up to 4 clients at a time.

I also want to test alot of features FreeNAS offerns.

High performance while keeping idle power low is very important to me.

Here is the part list.

CPU: Intel E3-1231v3
Mainboard: Supermicro X10SL7-F
RAM: 2x8GB Crucial CT102472BB160B (changed to CT102472BD160B)
PSU: BeQuiet 500W 80+ Gold (changed to SeaSonic G-550)
Case: Fractal R5

Storage wise i would loved to get 4x6TB WD red drives in Z1, but i read raid5(z1) is dead?
Is that true? If yes, i would go for 4x6TB WD red in raid 10 or 6x4TB WD red in z2.
I have a large media collection using 6TB of space and growing. Any recommendation on drive layout?

Anything i might want to change?
Did i miss something?
Is this build okay and fullfill my needs?

Thanks in advanced!

Last edited:

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Given your needs I recommend a 6x4 TB RAID-Z2 (or 6x6 TB if you want) ;)

I also recommend the SeaSonic G-450 over the BeQuiet for the PSU.

Everything else looks good. Maybe a bit more RAM, but I'll let the Plex experts answer this one :)

Steve_93

Dabbler
Given your needs I recommend a 6x4 TB RAID-Z2 (or 6x6 TB if you want) ;)

I also recommend the SeaSonic G-450 over the BeQuiet for the PSU.

Everything else looks good. Maybe a bit more RAM, but I'll let the Plex experts answer this one :)

Thank you for your fast reply!:)

6x4TB RAID-Z2 looks good!

Going for the SeaSonic G-450 as you commanded, same price as the BeQuiet anyway:)
But i am curios why pick the SeaSonic over the BeQuiet? Just better power efficient?

It is not the end of the world if i need one more stick of RAM.

My plan B is to use Xpenology on this system if i cant get along with FreeNAS, and then the memory would be useless. So i don't want to buy 3 sticks right away.
But i am confident i can learn FreeNAS ;)

I also heard something about flashing the LSI controller on the motherboard? Is this necessary?
Should i use the Intel SATA Ports or the LSI ones for the drives?

Bidule0hm

Better quality and probably better efficiency ;)

Yep, you can always add RAM later, no problem at all.

Yes, you need IT mode and you need to be careful on the P16/P20 choice because of the last FreeNAS update --> https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...t-match-driver-version-20-for-dev-mps0.36536/

If you only have 6 drives you can use the Intel ports and not need to flash the LSI chip but don't forget to do it if you add more drives in the future.

Steve_93

Dabbler
Better quality and probably better efficiency ;)

Yep, you can always add RAM later, no problem at all.

Yes, you need IT mode and you need to be careful on the P16/P20 choice because of the last FreeNAS update --> https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...t-match-driver-version-20-for-dev-mps0.36536/

If you only have 6 drives you can use the Intel ports and not need to flash the LSI chip but don't forget to do it if you add more drives in the future.

I am going to look into flashing the board when i exceed the 6 sata ports provided by the chipset. Cant be that hard to flash it :)

I am probably going to order the parts tomorrow.

Is a build log something people would be interested in?
Only a couple of picture or something along those lines.

Thanks for the help with the build!

Bidule0hm

Not hard at all. Just be sure to do a lot of reading and to chose the right file.

It's always interesting but mainly it'll be useful for you when in a few months you'll have forgotten something you can read your build log ;)

OLKent

Dabbler
Just something to consider...

If you want to upgrade your pool in the future, there is really only two ways to do it (those with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong): 1) replace the drives in your pool with higher capacity drives, or 2) back up your pool to some other source, blow it away and rebuild it from scratch. You can always add a new pool with a new set of drives of course.

Understanding this, and if 1 is preferable for you, you might want to rethink your disk strategy. For example:

Using this calculator: https://jsfiddle.net/Biduleohm/hfqdpbLm/10/embedded/result/

6x4tb gives you 11.46 TiB of usable capacity
To max out your pool using method 1 above, it means your total pool will max out at 6x6tb or 17.18 TiB of usable space

Another way to approach this is more drives, lower starting capacity. Since you already have the sata ports available on the mobo, you just spend a few extra $ up front for more drives (should be nominal expense, around $50 but i haven't done the math).

8x3tb give you 12.89 TiB of usable capacity
BUT you max out at:
8x6tb @ 25.77 TiB of capacity

It means for a few extra dollars now, you have future proofed your pool to expand out to a max of 25.77 TiB instead of 17.18 TiB.

*disclaimer: Yes I know there are drives out there higher than 6TB.

Steve_93

Dabbler
Not hard at all. Just be sure to do a lot of reading and to chose the right file.

It's always interesting but mainly it'll be useful for you when in a few months you'll have forgotten something you can read your build log ;)

You are right, if something goes wrong or i need to look something up i can do it :)

I think about timelapsing the footage of building it. ;)

Just something to consider...

If you want to upgrade your pool in the future, there is really only two ways to do it (those with more experience can correct me if I'm wrong): 1) replace the drives in your pool with higher capacity drives, or 2) back up your pool to some other source, blow it away and rebuild it from scratch. You can always add a new pool with a new set of drives of course.

Understanding this, and if 1 is preferable for you, you might want to rethink your disk strategy. For example:

Using this calculator: https://jsfiddle.net/Biduleohm/hfqdpbLm/10/embedded/result/

6x4tb gives you 11.46 TiB of usable capacity
To max out your pool using method 1 above, it means your total pool will max out at 6x6tb or 17.18 TiB of usable space

Another way to approach this is more drives, lower starting capacity. Since you already have the sata ports available on the mobo, you just spend a few extra $ up front for more drives (should be nominal expense, around $50 but i haven't done the math).

8x3tb give you 12.89 TiB of usable capacity
BUT you max out at:
8x6tb @ 25.77 TiB of capacity

It means for a few extra dollars now, you have future proofed your pool to expand out to a max of 25.77 TiB instead of 17.18 TiB.

*disclaimer: Yes I know there are drives out there higher than 6TB.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me!

I already thought about getting lower capacity drives, as i already own 2x3TB WD reds. The thing is a drives idles between 3-5watts if i recall right. 3watts power 24/7 for 365 days costs me 5euros a year, i know it doesnt look like alot but i really want long term cost efficiency. You already mentioned that i would max out quicker with smaller drives, so that is not an option for me.

I am completely fine in creating a new pool and deleting the old one, i have options to backup the data on the drives.

My plan for right now would be to get 4x6tb drives, put them in Raid 10 or Z2. Then at chistmas time i am going to get myself 2 more 6tb drives, backup the data from the pull and recreate it.

Its not like i cant afford the drives right now, but i am a little bit over budget and i like to stick to it.

Your RAM is registered and not unbuffered -> your motherboard won't boot with it!!!!
Buy CT102472BD160B, instead of CT102472BB160B!!!
I made the same mistake and had to return the RAM.

OH MY GOD!

I ordered last night, 2 hours before your reply:eek::eek::eek:

I call the shop as soon as the open and explain i ordered the wrong one!
The right ram is also cheaper, thats nice.

Thank you very very much, nothing would piss me of more than getting the wrong parts :confused:
You saved me time troubleshooting, thanks!;)

I hope i can sort things out with this shop, my first order there:confused: But alot of friend bought there so i should be fine :)

EDIT: Called the shop, no problem, going to get the right parts next week :)

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
PSA: Only Crucial CT102472BA160B and Crucial CT102472BD160B are Unbuffered DDR3 (last time I checked, anyway).

Steve_93

Dabbler
PSA: Only Crucial CT102472BA160B and Crucial CT102472BD160B are Unbuffered DDR3 (last time I checked, anyway).

Thanks already changed my order to the unbufferd RAM :)

Part should come next week, but now WD red drives are out of stock :eek:

Steve_93

Dabbler

Amazon.de doesnt ship most of the hard drives to austria. Austria has its own harddrive tax, there were a lot of conflicts with amazon and the Austrian government about this.
Amazon stopped selling/shipping many hard drives to austria for this reason.
Nobody knows why you can buy certain drives and why others cant be bought.

6TB and 5TB drives are the only one i can get from amazon.
I can get tax free drives meaning 20% off but only from amazon.

They are currently in stock again, but i don't have my credit card on my right now, gonna order the drives as soon as i come home tho!;)

BIG THANKS to everybody for the help ;)

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
Das ist nicht gut!

I don't want to sound like an arrogant American and I typically don't like to comment on the laws and regulations of other countries but that is one of the dumbest things that I've ever heard of...

that is one of the dumbest things that I've ever heard of...
I agree with this sentence , very stupid. Then again, if its something you can make a profit on then i guess tax it is there logic :/

Steve_93

Dabbler
Das ist nicht gut!

I don't want to sound like an arrogant American and I typically don't like to comment on the laws and regulations of other countries but that is one of the dumbest things that I've ever heard of...

I dont blame you, it is the dumbest thing ever!
Austria is the home of useless taxes, you have to pay 50% off your profit when you own a company!

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Das ist nicht gut!

We recently got one of these around here. Here's everything it covers that I can remember, ostensibly taxed to compensate authors for private copies (not piracy, backups):
  • Writable optical media
  • Audio cassettes
  • VHS tapes
  • All mass storage devices - SSDs, HDDs, SD cards, you name it, all taxed per GB to varying degrees, with ridiculous upper limits.
  • Laptops, tablets and phones - with different rates too! Hooray for paying some assholes who "represent artists" (at this point, I should add that local artists are widely regarded as a joke and most media consumed is American) even though you are buying devices that can do literally millions of other things!
  • Photocopies (Yes, seriously)
  • Printers (redacted due to excessive WTF-rage-induced swearing)
  • Optical media burners - yes, you pay for the drive and the disc even in the extremely likely case that neither sees a bit of data from the people who benefit from this
Needless to say, I exclusively buy the above on Amazon, as much as possible, since they don't have to charge for this insanity. I might never buy a laptop again, out of principle (can't get them with Portuguese keyboards on Amazon). Tablet bought online + keyboard bought locally and fsck those people, may they burn in hell.

</rage>

No, the photocopies aren't ordered from Amazon, before someone asks.

I dont blame you, it is the dumbest thing ever!
Austria is the home of useless taxes, you have to pay 50% off your profit when you own a company!
20% tax on HDDs is a whole new level of absurdity, wow.

Bidule0hm

Actually France isn't far behind, if not ahead...

Steve_93

Dabbler
We recently got one of these around here. Here's everything it covers that I can remember, ostensibly taxed to compensate authors for private copies (not piracy, backups):
  • Writable optical media
  • Audio cassettes
  • VHS tapes
  • All mass storage devices - SSDs, HDDs, SD cards, you name it, all taxed per GB to varying degrees, with ridiculous upper limits.
  • Laptops, tablets and phones - with different rates too! Hooray for paying some assholes who "represent artists" (at this point, I should add that local artists are widely regarded as a joke and most media consumed is American) even though you are buying devices that can do literally millions of other things!
  • Photocopies (Yes, seriously)
  • Printers (redacted due to excessive WTF-rage-induced swearing)
  • Optical media burners - yes, you pay for the drive and the disc even in the extremely likely case that neither sees a bit of data from the people who benefit from this
Needless to say, I exclusively buy the above on Amazon, as much as possible, since they don't have to charge for this insanity. I might never buy a laptop again, out of principle (can't get them with Portuguese keyboards on Amazon). Tablet bought online + keyboard bought locally and fsck those people, may they burn in hell.

</rage>

No, the photocopies aren't ordered from Amazon, before someone asks.

20% tax on HDDs is a whole new level of absurdity, wow.

That might be a Europe thing, we have the exact same taxes and the new storage media drive, EU at it finest o_O
But i thing politics is not a topic for a FreeNAS forum? or is it?

tyronebiggums

Dabbler
It's fair game to me if absurd taxes are making FreeNAS builds unnecessarily expensive... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.