Supermicro 4U 36 drive enclosure, extra power by mobo?

mrcpu

Cadet
I snagged a 36 bay Supermicro 4U chassis off ebay with 36 3.5" bays, IT mode HBA, yada jyada.

Ran memtest and cpustress and a bunch of other things, seems to work just fine, waiting for drives to show up.

I have a stack of 128GB and 256GB Samsung SSD's from an aborted project sitting around.

Anyway, rather than burning up the 4-5 of the bays for a mirrored boot drive, and slog and l2arc drives, I was thinking of sticking them in the chassis by the mobo, there's plenty of room, fab up a little 3d printed bracket etc. SATA ports are right there, *but* I can't find power.

Read the manual, haven't completely pulled the chassis apart, but somebody has to have done this before, is there a way to get a couple molex up in there to power some SSD's. Or splitting something off one of the cables feeding the mobo, or somesuch.

If I have to use bays, I will but if I don't have to, I'd like to avoid it.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Isn't the backplane powered with the familiar molex connectors? You could probably split from there ...
Rack servers rarely come with additional power connectors dangling around inside the chassis, I fear.