SuperMicro 2758 installation issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sol42

Dabbler
Yesterday I received my parts and went to building my new FreeNAS system. When I got to the point of building the USB via a USB installation, I would get to the choice menu for 'FreeNAS Installation', click it, and then receive a corruption error. No matter what I did I would see this corruption error. So I decided to get creative and use a USB DVD drive to boot the install. This would get further, but I could never get it to recognize the keyboard, the DVD drive, and the FreeNAS USB at the same time. It would either see the keyboard and the DVD Drive or it would forget the keyboard was there and not allow me to proceed further.

I finally was able to do a workaround by using VirtualBox to create the FreeNAS USB. So far this appears to have worked, but I could not find RaidZ1 option when attempting to build my ZFS Volume. I got past this issue by using the wizard and letting it build the Raidz1 for me. Things appear to be stable, but I'm a little concerned about building the FreeNAS USB on a VirtualBox and then using it on the C2758 mb.

Has anyone else ran into similar issues? Any clues as to why the USB installation would boot, but then continuously show corruption(and yes I tried multiple builds of FreeNAS. I even used Ubuntu Server and it worked completely fine). Also, any insight regarding why FreeNAS might act so odd with USB ports?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Did you verify the image you downloaded?

In any case, FreeNAS 9.3 can verify its installation. How to manually invoke this should be in the manual somewhere. If it passes and scrubs on the boot device are ok, there shouldn't be a problem.

Sol42

Dabbler
Yes, I downloaded the 9.3 Release, the 9.3 latest stable release, and 9.2.1.9 . They all gave the same corruption error and they all worked when using VirtualBox to build my FreeNAS USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.