BUILD Super Micro X9 Build and ZFS config.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockstar0215

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

I've been hanging around the forum for a while without finishing my build. A while back I acquired an Super Micro X9 mother board and a chassis for my server. I never actually put the thing together. Now that the X10 series of MoBos are coming out, I think it's finally time to finish this old build or my gear will be severely outdated.

I am seeking some advice regarding some parts to verify that they're still good buys. The server will be primarily for movie storage. It may do some transcoding from time to time, but mostly it will be used to stream files to the local network that can natively support the file (no transcoding required).

Problem: I am not sure what BIOS firmware my MoBo has installed. This limits my processor and memory choice.

The Build
Supre Micro X9SCM-F
Either a G2020 (socket 1155 and ECC support) or an Intel Xeon 1220 (not v2 because I hear that that I would need to flash the MoBo with firmware to get the v2 working)
Memory: ??? Not a clue. Any advice? (this goes back to the processor problem; the new Bios which I am not sure I have installed does supports 1600 ECC RAM. Does this mean the 1220 v1 does not use 1600 RAM only the v2?) What does everyone recommend? Super Micro recommends Hynix or Samsung RAM, how about Crucial?
**NOTE** the G2020 only supports 1333 RAM; the 1220 supports 1333/1066; the 1220 v2 supports 1333/1600; the MoBo supports 1333 and 1600 RAM. 1333 is the common dominator here.
Power Supply: EVGA 650W Gold (WD Red 4TB x 5) Is this enough power? Is 550w enough?

The price between the G2020 and the Xeon is only $10 (new vs. old) so I think the choice is obvious here: Xeon. Anyone can chime in? I would prefer the E3-1220 v2 for the speed bump, but not knowing whether my MoBo is compatible is a headache I want to avoid. Am I wrong here?

Hard Drives and ZFS
Originally I planned to run 3 hard drives + 2 parity for double redundancy (RaidZ2). I also considered doing a 2 hard drive + 1 parity (RaidZ) and doing two pools. This way I can get into the game quicker without having purchased all 5 or 6 hard drives at once. Everyone always advises against only single parity because drives fail during rewriting. So I think RaidZ2 would be better? I can always add a second RaidZ2 pool if I want to expand.

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
RAIDZ2 is pretty much always better than RAIDZ1, but it's more expensive. That just is what it is. Greater security for your data, but more redundancy means more disks means more money. How important is your data? If you're storing media or other data you could easily recreate if it were lost, RAIDZ1 may be just fine. But we tend to favor RAIDZ2.

As to RAM speed, using faster RAM than your CPU or motherboard "support" is just fine--the system will simply use it at a slower speed. You could thus use 1600 without any problems, but if it's more expensive than 1333 I'd get the 1333. For quantity, 8 GB is the minimum, and we generally recommend 16 GB as a good amount for a home server. Get that in 2 x 8 GB DIMMs, so if you later find you need more, you'll still have to free DIMM sockets to add another 16 GB. Crucial is just fine, and they guarantee compatibility if you pick it via their website.

For the CPU, I'd probably go for the Xeon, but I'd see if you could get a 1230 instead--there's a pretty significant difference between the 1220 and the 1230, and usually not much price difference. The 1220 you're looking at is almost certainly plenty though.

rockstar0215

Dabbler
Thanks for your help. The biggest concern at this point is not knowing whether I have BIOS version 2.0 above. I won't know either unless I get the processor and boot it up. Anyone have any suggestions? Should the 1220 (non v2) post if I was not on BIOS v 2.o? or will the G2020 be better for testing this out?

danb35

Hall of Famer
There I'm afraid I can't help you, as I haven't dealt with that issue. I thought the 1220 was OK for the older BIOS, though. SuperMicro's product page for the X9SCM tends to agree with that--BIOS v2.0 is needed for the 1200v2 series CPUs, but not for the v1 parts.

It's possible to upgrade the BIOS via IPMI without having a CPU installed at all, but that requires an activation key that SuperMicro usually wants to sell (a stupid decision IMO, but they haven't asked me). I've heard of their support giving out the code for free, though. You could also RMA the board to have the BIOS updated, but that's a pain.

Spearfoot

He of the long foot
Hi everyone
Hello, and welcome to the forum!
The Build
Supre Micro X9SCM-F
Either a G2020 (socket 1155 and ECC support) or an Intel Xeon 1220 (not v2 because I hear that that I would need to flash the MoBo with firmware to get the v2 working)
Memory: ??? Not a clue. Any advice? (this goes back to the processor problem; the new Bios which I am not sure I have installed does supports 1600 ECC RAM. Does this mean the 1220 v1 does not use 1600 RAM only the v2?) What does everyone recommend? Super Micro recommends Hynix or Samsung RAM, how about Crucial?
**NOTE** the G2020 only supports 1333 RAM; the 1220 supports 1333/1066; the 1220 v2 supports 1333/1600; the MoBo supports 1333 and 1600 RAM. 1333 is the common dominator here.
Power Supply: EVGA 650W Gold (WD Red 4TB x 5) Is this enough power? Is 550w enough?

The price between the G2020 and the Xeon is only $10 (new vs. old) so I think the choice is obvious here: Xeon. Anyone can chime in? I would prefer the E3-1220 v2 for the speed bump, but not knowing whether my MoBo is compatible is a headache I want to avoid. Am I wrong here?
If you're only going to be using the system as a file server, the Pentium chip will be fine. Just my two cent's worth...

It's best to buy memory from Supermicro's Tested Memory List. However, you'll be okay buying the correct Crucial parts because Crucial RAM is manufactured by Micron and Micron is on the list for just about every Supermicro motherboard: for example, it's listed by Supermicro in the DDR3 1.35v-1333 ECC section for 8GB sticks for your system. Problem is... they seem to be out-of-stock for any parts that work in your motherboard! (See list here.) You can use faster memory (1600) with the Pentium chip; the system will just lower the speed to 1333.

I personally use an EVGA PSU (see 'my systems' below) and have had good luck with it. 550W is plenty of power for your system. (see the "Proper Power Supply Sizing Guidance" thread for details.)
Hard Drives and ZFS
Originally I planned to run 3 hard drives + 2 parity for double redundancy (RaidZ2). I also considered doing a 2 hard drive + 1 parity (RaidZ) and doing two pools. This way I can get into the game quicker without having purchased all 5 or 6 hard drives at once. Everyone always advises against only single parity because drives fail during rewriting. So I think RaidZ2 would be better? I can always add a second RaidZ2 pool if I want to expand.
I agree with most here on the forum that RAIDZ1 should be avoided. I use RAIDZ2 in my own systems. While it would be easiest to buy the full complement of drives you plan to install in your pool... I understand about budgetary restraints. :smile:

You might consider using mirrors instead of RAIDZ2: you could start out with a simple pool comprised of 2 drives in a mirror. When your budget allows you can extend your pool with an additional pair of drives. You can extend the pool twice, using all 6 SATA ports on the motherboard; you'd end up with 3 mirrored pairs in your pool. The disadvantage here is space efficiency: mirrors only deliver 50% space efficiency, so with 6 x 4TB drives you'd only have 12TB of available storage. The same 6 drives in a RAIDZ2 array would give you 16TB of space. So if space efficiency is a concern, you're better off buying all 6 drives now and building a RAIDZ2 pool.

Note that you'll need to boot FreeNAS from a USB flash drive if you intend to use all 6 SATA ports.

Ah! I see that my post may be redundant 'cause @danb35 is quicker on the draw than I am! :smile:

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.