Suitable alternative because CIFS doesn´t work

Status
Not open for further replies.

dropline

Dabbler
Hi everybody,

I´m having trouble getting my CIFS Share to work, I´m not sure if it´s a problem with my config, a bug, or if there is something wrong with my files. The whole story is documented here:

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cifs-share-random-files-can´t-be-copied.39241/

I´m running into trouble now with storage space, so I need some solution. I was thinking to swap to a AFP or NFS share, I´m just not sure if it´s suitable for our needs. I have no experience with AFP or NFS.

This NAS is entirely there to store photos (RAWs, JPGs, and a few PSDs). We have several photographers (between 1 and 10) that access this NAS daily. They work with Adobe Bridge to batch rename big lots of RAW Photos, and put Metadata in. Then they edit this RAWs in Camera RAW and Photoshop, and batch convert them into jpgs. A photoshoot can be between 10 and 50 GB, mostly its about 20GB. On busy days we do 12 shoots a day.

So, my question is, can i use AFP or NFS to provide a mapped, fast drive for the windows ( 7, 8, 8.1 and 1o) clients? I don´t need permissions at all, hopefully this makes things a bit easier.

I´m hoping that this could be a solution for me, at least a temporary one.

Before I start something like this, especially on a very important, productive server, I want to know if this is a good idea or not. So, what do you guys think?

Any input is much appreciated, ether here or on the CIFS problem. Thanks to everybody that put time and effort in to help me with this!

dropline

Dabbler
@ admins Sorry, this thread was supposed to go into Sharing, not Storage. Could somebody with permissions please move it for me? Thank you.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
As mentioned in the other thread: "If you can't get CIFS working and you don't have experience with AFP and NFS, I see no value in switching protocols (good luck getting windows setup to speak NFS, let alone AFP)."

CIFS works fine once you get the permissions sorted.

gpsguy

Since you and your colleague both have the same issue, I would contact iXsystems and ask them about obtaining some 3rd party support for your systems.

Sent from my phone

dropline

Dabbler
I think this thread can be closed or deleted now. Thanks to anodos I finally know what causes our initial problem. Thanks for all the input here though. I did open this thread in desperation I guess :)

Status
Not open for further replies.