Subsonic Plugin in 11.3?

maclark7029

Dabbler
Just upgraded from 11.1 to 11.3-U2.1 and can't find the Subsonic plugin? Is it no longer available?

Thanks,
Mike

hunter

Explorer
I found your suggestion, added a comment, and upvoted it. Thank you for submitting. I have read how to create new iocage plugins and threads on converting warden jails to iocage but the process seems to just exceed my skills by a little bit. I would gladly spend the time if I could figure it out though. I also received error when trying to (hopefully temporarily) install madsonic from the community repository as a workaround.

maclark7029

Dabbler
I'm with you in building a plugin, but I'll continue to try. I am proud that I did figure out how to create a jail and install the most recent Subsonic standalone version. Not easy, but it works so far and I learned a lot.

hunter

Explorer
Thank you for responding, maclark7029. Your response inspired me to try installing it on my own in a jail. It wasn't very easy for me, but I did learn something for making the effort.

A funny thing I noticed is that the plugin still seems to be available on git even though it never became visible to me through the FreeNAS community plugins. I can't imagine a plugin for an application that doesn't look like it's going to be updated any more is much maintenance to keep working but apparently it was. Also, it seems like it should be pretty easy to just use the freeBSD package manager to install it (https://www.freshports.org/search.p...leted&start=1&casesensitivity=caseinsensitive) but I couldn't see that package from inside my jail.

I'm posting the details in the hope that a more experienced user might be able to identify a couple command lines that would install the package or the plugin in a jail for the other users who are missing not having a plugin for it any more.

For those interested, this is an old post, but a lot of it still holds true: https://lameguy.wordpress.com/2013/02/08/subsonic-install-in-freebsd-jail/

For the jail, I just set up a basic jail. I only modified the IPv4 address to the one I wanted on my network (DHCP would work too, I'd bet).

Some of the packages have different names or newer versions than in the tutorial above, and you'll want to get the newest version of Subsonic (6.1.6 for the standalone version at time of writing).

To get it to autostart subsonic when the jail starts, I added sh /var/subsonic/standalone/subsonic.sh to the top of /etc/rc in the jail. That script is set to run at jail start (exec_start) by default.

I already knew how, but you'll also need to know how to mount the music files you want to the jail. It's pretty easy.

The rest is just Subsonic setup. I like mine to run on a specific port; that means editing the subsonic.sh file, but that's easy enough.

asw2012

Contributor
Don't know if it's been suggested, but I've got the plugin working on 11.3-U5 - I had found and installed it on the base 11.3-U1 and have kept upgrading the TrueNAS versions from there. Been working fine.

Can just install the base TrueNAS 11.3-U1 and upgrade from there?

maclark7029

Dabbler
I was on version 11.1 and when I upgraded to 11.3-U1, the plugin was gone. I manually installed Subsonic in a Jail myself (not using a plugin to install it was an adventure in learning) and it has since remained across an update to 11.3-U5.