Subsonic plugin won't update web address

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt996

Cadet
Hello,

I have installed the subsonic plugin, am able to access the web UI and scan music folder.

The issue I'm having is that the subsonic server is not updating the dynamic DNS URL; on the "Network" setup page I get the error message, "Status: Could not connect to xxxxxx.subsonic.org. (HttpHostConnectException) ". This currently works from my old (Windows) subsonic install, so I'm guessing there is some configuration subtlety that I am missing.

Any help much appreciated.

FreeNAS 9.10.2 and Subsonic 6.0 (build a7857c) plugin

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Does DNS work in your subsonic jail?
Can you show the output of 'ping google.com' in your jail.

matt996

Cadet
Yes, able to ping Google...

Code:
root@subsonic_1:/ # ping www.google.com																							
PING www.google.com (172.217.4.36): 56 data bytes																				  
64 bytes from 172.217.4.36: icmp_seq=0 ttl=55 time=23.125 ms																		
64 bytes from 172.217.4.36: icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=21.404 ms																		
64 bytes from 172.217.4.36: icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=21.470 ms																		
64 bytes from 172.217.4.36: icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=21.072 ms

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
hmm, not sure because it seemed to work for me. You do have a subsonic premium account right?
Maybe you can ask on the subsonic forum what could cause that error.

matt996

Cadet
Some additional troubleshooting details;
- Yes, I have subsonic premium
- Subsonic server *is* updating the subsonic dynamic DNS service with my router's IP, but reports an error when it tries to confirm the port is forwarded
- Clients (both web browser and android app) can connect to the freenas jail subsonic server if client is on the local network
- uPNP ("Automatically configure router...") reports "no router found"; previous subsonic server on windows machine reported success here, and router does support it.
- given the above, I manually forwarded port 4040 to subsonic jail IP
- if *not* on LAN, browser to http://xxxxxx.subsonic.org reports Error Connection Refused and Android apps also cannot connect.

So given that things are working okay from within the LAN, and the server is able to communicate out my IP to the DNS service, it seems the problem is in getting traffic from my router to the freenas jail. Is there a setting I need to enable to allow this to happen, or a better way to test where it is breaking down?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
If the DNS forwarded properly, and you manually forwarded the port properly, I'm not sure what would stop traffic.

I don't use the dynamic DNS service that subsonic provides, but do forward traffic to TCP port 4040 in my subsonic jail, and can access it remotely as expected with no extra steps.

As for some things not working, as a guess, maybe it has to do with FreeNAS jails not having permissions to do certain things with the network card? Do you have VIMAGE enabled for your subsonic jail? You might want to try toggling that to see if it makes any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.