Stuck on "loading kernel modules"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

noman

Cadet
Hello,

First post here.

I built a new FreeNAS box yesterday and having issues with booting up.

My Specs:

* CPU: Intel G3930 Kaby Lake Processor
* RAM: 8GB Corsair LPX
* Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H270N-WiFi
* 3x3TiB WD Red
* 1x60GB Intel SSD
* Patriot USB 3.0 installation drive

FreeNAS version: 9.10

While the installation goes well, when booting from USB drive, the boot sequence hangs at:

`Loading kernel modules…`

### Other Info
Interestingly, the FreeNAS version 10, beta 2 boots up just fine. However there are other issues with it, such as creation of a dataset (permissions error).

My suspicion is that the H270 chipset isn't supported yet... but since I can boot version 10 just fine, I am not sure.

I would like to use the FreeNAS 9. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:

John Dray

Cadet
I have the same problem.

I pressed control C, then again when it stuck at loading mdnsd. That allowed me to get into the shell (option 9).

I then tried kldload to find out which of the kernel modules had not loaded.
dtraceall and ipmi reported that they were already loaded.

When I tried kldload hwpmc, I got an error

pmc: Unknown Intel CPU.
hwpmc: SOFT/16/64/0x67<INT,USR,SYS,REA,WRI>

I also tried loading t3_tom and t4_tom - they both loaded

I'm guessing this means that Kaby Lake isn't supported yet... any help???

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
It could be a number of things, the audio features, wifi features or kaby lake.

I suspect since kaby lake and sky lake are similar the it might not be the CPUs fault. If you used a good motherboard it would probably work.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

noman

Cadet
Thank you John for pitching in.

SweetAndLow, thank you for your reply... but like I've mentioned earlier, the FreeNAS v10 is booting up just fine. The permission error seems to be a regression (based on posts on this forum). I suspect there is going to be an update to address v10 permissions issue this week.

H/Z270 are mainstream chipsets... I am sure they are going to be supported.

At the moment, it seems to be a Kaby Lake issue... I am still trying to research and troubleshoot the installation. No luck yet.

gpsguy

gpsguy

Please post the issue # here, so if others with Kaby Lake systems stumble across this thread, they can check the progress. Thanks!

BrentR

Cadet
I have loaded version 9.10 twice everything install great when I reboot it hangs at reloading modules (screen shot below) When I load the version 10 Beta 2 everything seems to work perfectly for what I can see. I am new to FreeNas. I like the Version 10 but I don't want to run something that says not stable and not for production machines.

ASRock H270M-ITX/ac
Intel I3 7100 LGA 1151
16 GB DDR4

Attachments

• FreeNas9.10.JPG
    FreeNas9.10.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 623

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty

kybandy

Cadet
Had this system ever booted freenas? Your motherboard isn't very good and could possibly cause the problems.

I've never successfully booted FreeNAS. I have, however, successfully booted Ubuntu just to make sure the motherboard isn't faulty and everything seemed to work with Ubuntu.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I've never successfully booted FreeNAS. I have, however, successfully booted Ubuntu just to make sure the motherboard isn't faulty and everything seemed to work with Ubuntu.
Well you answered the question then. Motherboard isn't supported. Try reading the hardware guide before picking your hardware.

Monkeen

Dabbler
Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this? I was reading through the bug thread (https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/20927) and it looks like it was supposed to be resolved however when I tried installing the current Freenas 9.10 my system also got stuck at "loading kernel modules. Does anyone have any guidance or is it definitely an unsupported MoBo issue?

My build:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Has anyone gotten to the bottom of this? I was reading through the bug thread (https://bugs.freenas.org/issues/20927) and it looks like it was supposed to be resolved however when I tried installing the current Freenas 9.10 my system also got stuck at "loading kernel modules. Does anyone have any guidance or is it definitely an unsupported MoBo issue?

My build:
The change went into freenas 11. You should just wait until that is released or if you can't wait upgrade to the release candidate.

Monkeen

Dabbler
Thanks SweetAndLow. I have had Corral running successfully on my system but since I'm a noob I have concerns that if I set up a Raid in Corral I run the risk of losing data on the no longer supported release. How can I upgrade to the release candidate?

gpsguy

Look in the resources section for a document desiring how to migrate from Corral to 9.10.x. Instead of going to 9.10 you'd need to use FreeNAS 11. RC3 was just released. Maybe next week for the release version.

Monkeen

Dabbler
Thanks for your help team. I've got FreeNas 11 installed and everything working =)

Status
Not open for further replies.