Stuck connecting to iohyve install

Status
Not open for further replies.

adrianwi

Guru
I've been playing around with iohyve and following this excellent video for noobs > https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/iohyve-set-up-and-basic-usage.9/

I think I've setup iohyve OK and can download the ISO files, but when I get to the installation part I'm encountering some errors.

I was trying to get CentOS up and running, and whenever I accessed the console (iohyve console vm_name) after starting the installation (iohyve install vm_name os.iso) I was just getting a grub > prompt. A bit of googling suggests that this might not be the best place to start, as there are some additional challenges getting CentOS up and running.

So I thought I'd try with Debian (as per the video) but at exactly the same point when accessing the console I now just get an OK message, and pressing enter simply gives me more.

I suspect this is something really stupid I'd forgotten, but my google-fu isn't finding any answers so thought I'd ask here.

Thanks!

Zwck

Patron
I had the same issue with an Ubuntu server installation, and I had to try a different iso, until it worked. I am not sure why this was the case.

Cheers

adrianwi

Guru
I've done some more playing this morning and I suspect the problem might be related to VirtualBox.

I have a couple of jails running VirtualBox, and after playing with iohyve last night noticed that these weren't working correctly. I disabled iohyve and rebooted and everything is back to normal. Some more googling suggests that VirtualBox and iohyve won't play nicely together, so not sure how I'll eventually migrate. I did try running iohyve inside a VirtualBox FreeNAS VM, but unsurprisingly that doesn't work :D

Will probably just stay on 9.10.1-U4 until pushed, and hopefully iohyve will be a little more polished. FreeBSD 10.3 won't be EOL until 2018 so have some time on my side...

adrianwi

Guru
Wanted to give this another try and finally managed to get a Debian VM running using iohyve on FreeNAS 9.10.1-U4 without any problems with the VirtualBox jails also running.

I followed this guide > https://blog.yuo.be/2017/01/04/migrating-a-vm-from-virtualbox-to-iohyve-bhyve-on-freenas-9-10/ - to save one of my ubuntu VirtualBox VMs in a RAW format and then tried to get this running in iohyve. All seemed to work apart from starting the VM, and when I open the console I just get a Grub> prompt. I suspect this might be something really simple, but Googling hasn't found an answer so hoping someone here might have one?

Thanks!

UPDATE: While I didn't manage to get this migrated VM to work I did manage to create a ubuntu VM using an ISO and then configured this to run Onlyoffice, which is all the vbox one was doing anyway! Would be nice to be able to migrate them from vbox though, so if anyone had any ideas why it might not have worked and how to fix I'd be very grateful...

Last edited:

KrisBee

Wizard
@AdrianWilliamson The first sentence in the reply to your post on the blog you quoted is the answer to your question. You've been left at a GRUB prompt as iohyve needs the correct combination of OS and loader when it is invoked to start a vm. In the case of Ubuntu the loader should be grub-bhyve but the OS could be "debian" or if your vbox vm was created using LVM (device mapper) the OS to use is "d8lvm", or least it was as I don't if this has been updated for later versions of Ubuntu.

So what version of ubuntu was used in the vbox vm? Was it desktop or server, and did you install it using LVM ( easy to check in existing vbox vm - just look to see if device mapper appears in the output of either of these commands: df -h or sudo lsblk)

If changing the OS to either "debian" or "d8lvm" when invoking iohyve still leaves you at the GRUB prompt you should still be able to boot your vm and can later create custom boot config files for iohyve if necessary.

The commands to boot from the GRUB prompt you are seeing when you use iohyve are the same you would use if you dropped to the command line from the GRUB menu when you boot your vm in vbox.

It's likely to be something like this

grub > set root=(hd0,msdos1)
grub > linux /vmlinuz-XXXX root=/dev/sda1
grub > initrd /initrd-XXXX
grub > boot

The value of "XXXX" can be found by using TAB-completion within GRUB. If device-mapper was used when creating the original vm, replace "root=/dev/sda1" with the correct dev, e.g; "root=/dev/mapper/ubuntu--xxxx" - you can get this from looking at the GRUB boot menu entries when the VM is run in vbox.

adrianwi

Guru
Thanks for the reply! I'd tried all combinations of os= but still got the grub > prompt. I guess I need to do some reading around grub as I have no idea how to start something from that!

Status
Not open for further replies.