SOLVED Struggling with UPS connection failure?

ChaosBlades

Contributor
I have been struggling with this on two different CyberPower UPS for years and I finally found the two things that most likely cause this. So I am sharing.

1. Edit your UPS service in TrueNAS. Scroll down to Auxiliary Parameters (ups.conf) and add pollinterval = 5 the default is 2. If that does not work you can try 10. Try to get it as low as you can without triggering a connection issue.

2. Your USB cable is not shielded or not shielded correctly. From my testing a LOT of USB 2.0 cables are not shielded correctly. It should look like the image below. The image is USB 3.0 but the shielding should be the same. The shielding NEEDs to be connected to the metal housings of the USB connectors for it to work properly. You can test this without cutting it open by using a multi meter with a continuity test function. Most dirt cheap multi meters should have this. Simply connect the two leads to the metal USB connector housing on both ends. You should hear a beep. If you don't then your cable is not shielded properly.
    Screenshot from 2022-10-04 07-41-25.png

If your UPS uses USB B then this USB cable is shielded properly. So that you are not buying a bunch just to find they are all junk.