Streams over 4 Mbps constantly buffer

ShutUpFry

Dabbler
FreeNAS 11.2 box: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bVysXv

Crude network description: router -> poe switch -> wireless ap -> switch -> FreeNAS box

I'm running the plexpass iocage plugin and having a lot of buffering problems. Any stream over 4 Mbps (according to Plex) buffers forever or only plays for a moment before buffering again. Most of my content shows as 5.4 Mbps without transcoding and has the problem at that quality.

I have problems with both wired and wireless clients, local ip browser access, and app access (ps4 and Roku). I’ve run iperf from the host and the jail to wireless clients and wired clients on both switches. Wireless gets 2xx Mbps and wired gets 9xx Mbps. I’ve checked every setting I can think of and tried to monitor resource utilization, but nothing looks maxed out, incorrectly configured, or otherwise problematic.

Last night I booted an Alienware Aurora R5 (https://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/pc-mac-desktops/alienware-aurora-r5-1323301/review) off a usb Ubuntu install drive and setup a quick and dirty Plex server with access to my movies via a smb share. Every client played at the maximum quality I could choose without issue.

I don’t know what to try next. I’m about ready to just move all my jails to a separate machine and be done with it.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
In your server settings in plex, what do you see as the limit under "Remote Access | Limit remote stream bitrate" ?

Also for "Network | Treat WAN IP As LAN Bandwidth" what's the setting (on or off) ?

ShutUpFry

Dabbler
In your server settings in plex, what do you see as the limit under "Remote Access | Limit remote stream bitrate" ?

Also for "Network | Treat WAN IP As LAN Bandwidth" what's the setting (on or off) ?

Original (No limit)

Checked

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Given that you're testing on the same clients (presumably with identical settings) I won't presume to start looking there for client-side settings as your temporary server test was OK.

How about your temp/transcode path? is that on spinning disks (even the same disks as the media) ? Are you transcoding or is it direct streaming ?

When you look at the Plex server dashboard during playback, what is it telling you about the stream/playback?

ShutUpFry

Dabbler
Given that you're testing on the same clients (presumably with identical settings) I won't presume to start looking there for client-side settings as your temporary server test was OK.

How about your temp/transcode path? is that on spinning disks (even the same disks as the media) ? Are you transcoding or is it direct streaming ?

When you look at the Plex server dashboard during playback, what is it telling you about the stream/playback?

I assume the transcode path must be on the same disks since that’s the only storage. The movie I started tonight on original quality (5.4 Mbps) showed it was direct play and played for a minute or two then just stopped. The bandwidth graph just dropped to zero where before it had small bursts of activity. When I turned it down to 4 Mbps it showed transcode for video and direct stream for audio and played without issue as usual.

ShutUpFry

Dabbler
Looking at a few other things, the videos showed as local and the transcoder temporary directory field is blank

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
You need to give the
The movie I started tonight on original quality (5.4 Mbps) showed it was direct play and played for a minute or two then just stopped.
Playback stopped or data transfer stopped? if it kept playing, this is normal as the buffer has filled and now you will just read-ahead to keep the buffer full as you watch.

You should specify the transcode location and probably put that on an SSD if you have the option.

Jailer

Not strong, but bad
You need to pull the Plex server logs to see what is causing the buffering.

sretalla