New to FreeNAS, slow transfer speeds

drinkyT

Cadet
Good evening all,

Let me just say I have been messing with servers and home labs for about 3 months now. I have been practicing on different things lately, and decided to give FreeNAS a try. I have it running on a VM (esxi) on my server. I have 2 "pools" is the right terminology, one is for a MAC and one is for a Windows pc on my network. Had some problems with windows and gaining access to the share. Once I got past that problem I decided to transfer a few things to the new FreeNas storage. I am noticing I was getting 100mbps in the beginning but then stayed constant at 30mbps. I am not sure why I am getting such horrible speeds. My network is setup like this; I use pfSense as my router/firewall (which is a VM on my server). Then I have FreeNas spun up in a VM on Esxi. My pfsense then connects to my 4 port switch where my windows pc is hard wired. It's a pretty simple setup but I can't figure out why I'm getting such low speeds. Can someone please give me some advice to what is actually going on here? I am new to this and would appreciate some feedback!

Thanks for your time,

drinky.

MikeyG

Patron
What are your iperf speeds between FreeNAS and Windows?

Rand

Guru
You will need to provide hardware information (cpu, amount of memory, #of disks, pool layout) and configuration details (how is the share setup, what kind of data are you transferring [large files, lot of small files etc]).
A search with "SMB slow" will provide a lot of threads with similar problem (and respective analysis options/potentially resolution hints) :)

drinkyT

Cadet
I'm not sure what iperf speeds are honestly... My hardware for my server is 2 e5-2665 v5 96GB with 3 500GB SSDS. For the vm I gave it 2 cpus, 16GB of ram and 100GB and 50GB on 2 pools. The share are just normal I guess...i didn't get too indepth with it.