SOLVED Slow Write Speeds RAIDZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigtoeknee

Cadet
Hello,

Just started using FreeNAS cause I was tired of Storage Spaces. I set up a 4x8TB array in RAIDZ and enabled a SMB share so I can connect to the drive. I am getting subpar speeds (30mbs -40mbs) with a large file (40gb+). Speeds to my storage space drives (simple) I currently have are 250mbs - 350mbs and these are directly attached to my motherboard.

What I have currently have it running in:
Host Machine:
CPU: i7 3770k
RAM: 32GB
Ethernet: 1 gbps
Virtual Machine: VMware Workstation
HDD: 8GB (sitting on an SSD)
CPU: 1 Processor/1 Core (was getting errors running more)
RAM: 20GB (Assigned)
Ethernet: Bridged

Both host and VM sit on the same VLAN.

The disks are attached to a 3ware 9650se-8lpml in single drive mode. Originally, I gave the VM the bare minimum and it was 7mbs - 10mbs speeds. I feel something is off, just not quite sure what.

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
Exactly where, to and from, are these files being transferred, both using FreeNAS and Storage Spaces? Also, what build of FreeNAS are you using?

Vito Reiter

Wise in the Ways of Science
Okay, so the third party is the VM? Like you have better transfer speeds between the VM and Storage Spaces, than the VM and FreeNAS, correct?

Bigtoeknee

Cadet
Okay, so the third party is the VM? Like you have better transfer speeds between the VM and Storage Spaces, than the VM and FreeNAS, correct?
False. Speeds to the VM are the same if not a little slower than they are locally on the host to Storage Spaces.

Edit: FreeNAS is the slow party. Storage Spaces to VM (Fine) Storage Spaces to FreeNAS (not fine)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
you need a new hba card. the 3ware 9650se-8lpml is not a good choice and causing all your performance problems and one day you will lose your pool. Try reading the hardware guide for suggestions.

Running freenas as a vm is also something left to experts. And you don't strike me as an expert. Did you pass the raid card through to the vm at least?

Bigtoeknee

Cadet
you need a new hba card. the 3ware 9650se-8lpml is not a good choice and causing all your performance problems and one day you will lose your pool. Try reading the hardware guide for suggestions.

Running FreeNAS as a VM is also something left to experts. And you don't strike me as an expert. Did you pass the raid card through to the vm at least?

I'm certainly not a FreeNAS "expert" but I've been running VMs for quite some time. The reason I am currently using the 3ware 9650se-8lpml because the SATA PCI card was experiencing the issue originally and wanted to test another card. No, I didn't pass the card through, I passed the drives through individually as stated in an article I read about running FreeNAS in a VM.

Another user suggested that I run the card as a JBOD due to constraints of the 3ware 9650se-8lpml but I don't believe it to be the card due to both cards are having the issue. Maybe an issue with VMware Workstation? Maybe I will try Hyper-V instead.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
In telling you with 100% confidence it's your card.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Sata PCI cards will have the same problem. Your motherboard is probably also causing problems along with you running it in VMWare. Basically you are doing everything wrong.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

gpsguy

Random PCI/e SATA cards have been known to be crap too. That's why we recommend a true HBA like an IBM M1015 flashed to IT mode. I wouldn't use VMware workstation as my hypervisor for this. What OS are you running underneath it? ESXi is a better choice.

Which 8TB drives are you using?

So it's both my cards then? Its possible, just unlikely.

Bigtoeknee

Cadet
I am user Windows Server 2016 and Seagate ST8000VN0002. That's fair, I just wanted to know why it's wrong not that I'm doing it wrong. I could do ESXi down the line just not in the cards atm. I will have to put this project on hold until I can get my hands on a proper HBA.

Edit: A user messaged me and told me that I can run the 3ware card I have in JBOD mode and that should help out with the card issue. If Hypervisor is still an issue I can wait until I run ESXi. I'll try it regardless, how else is one supposed to find out anyway :)

Dice

Wizard
passed the drives through individually as stated in an article I read about running FreeNAS in a VM.
If you refer to:
This section ...is a quite unfortunate way of condensing the essence. The text does not put anywhere close to enough emphasis on <non-production> <not safe for your critical data> and <not useful for speed testing of freenas>.
Although it is linking to (did you read and understand ?) a key piece to set up the basics which differs ZFS from your typical unix VM.

Your setup is acceptable to <check out the functions> on <fake data> to play around and test what is up with FreeNAS.
However your setup is not entitled to any sort of comparisons of speed or reliability or stability. In fact even networking settings may need to be tweaked on your host to even allow plugin/jail functionality to work as intended. Basically, not judging anything more than poking around in menus.

Bigtoeknee

Cadet
If you refer to:
This section ...is a quite unfortunate way of condensing the essence. The text does not put anywhere close to enough emphasis on <non-production> <not safe for your critical data> and <not useful for speed testing of freenas>.
Although it is linking to (did you read and understand ?) a key piece to set up the basics which differs ZFS from your typical unix VM.

Your setup is acceptable to <check out the functions> on <fake data> to play around and test what is up with FreeNAS.
However your setup is not entitled to any sort of comparisons of speed or reliability or stability. In fact even networking settings may need to be tweaked on your host to even allow plugin/jail functionality to work as intended. Basically, not judging anything more than poking around in menus.

There is where I went wrong. I was reading a 3rd party site and didn't refer to the product documentation. Nor did this article I read explain that either. Thank you! This is the answer I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.