Problems accessing CIFS from Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cameron:D

Cadet
TL;DR: After SMB negotiates the protocol and establishes a session, my W10 PC sends a RST to my NAS causing the SMB connection to re-negotiate, forever.

I'm mostly sick of this not working and can't really be bothered typing up nice paragraphs, so this post might be a bit of a mess....

Everything was working, then one day it didn't. The only thing I remember changing in the timeframe was setting up Hyper-V (As part of my troubleshooting I removed it).

Usually, after I first boot up, I am able to access the NAS (Running FreeNAS latest stable) and see the list of shares, but accessing anything after that gives an error (Specifically “The specified server cannot perform the requested operation”).

Directly accessing the NAS or a share by the direct path gives a 0x80004005 Unspecified Error.

Other (Win 7) devices on the network can access the shares fine.

After a few days of being frustrated I pulled out Wireshark and set that running while I tried to access the share, here is what I see, repeated many many times (Until Windows devices to time-out, I guess), with some WebDAV scattered around (And obviously, failing):

9COUCCL.png

Looking through the packets it seems to create a normal SMB2 connection, authenticates and upon receiving the accept-completed from the session setup it sends a TCP RST, which resets the connection and causes it to re-start the connection and negotiations again.

Things I've tried (Among other things that I've probably forgotten):
  • Different APs (I have a WD router that also does file sharing, got rid of that for the time being, ruling out everything possible). Yes, my PC is on wireless, I don't really have any way of running Ethernet to the other end of the house at the moment)
  • NIC driver updates.
  • Enabling, disabling, reinstalling the NIC and drivers.
  • Removing/disabling all virtual network devices (ISATAP, Teredo etc.), although they do eventually reinstall themselves it still doesn't work while they're uninstalled.
  • Disabled network device power management.
  • FreeNAS up-to-date.
  • Windows up-to date.
  • Both devices can see each other (I can access HTTP interface and other jailed services).
  • Both computers can access the internet and other devices on the network.
  • IP configuration:
    • Tried static and DHCP.
    • Checked DNS (Get hostnamemismatch in logs, but that has never been an issue), both devices can resolve each other.
    • Tried static hostnames through hosts file, both hostname and FQDN.
    • Error occurs using both IP address and hostname.
  • Enabling Windows Guest account.
  • Forcing SMB encryption to be disabled from Windows.
  • Turning the firewall off.
  • From the Network Interface Properties I've:
    • Reinstalled Client for MS Networks.
    • Reinstalled File and Printer Sharing for MS Networks.
    • Disabled IPv6.
    • ...for wireless and (unused) wired interface.
  • I had Hyper-V installed and a virtual switch running, removed all Hyper-V related network things and uninstalled Hyper-V.
  • In FreeNAS' CIFS config I've:
    • Played with various compatibility versions
    • Changing guest account and password requirement
    • Changing hostname lookups and interface bindings
  • Scanning through Windows' logs doesn't seem to reveal anything of interest
  • FreeNAS/Samba logs – even at debug level – contain nothing useful (there is a hostnamemismatch for each connect, but that doesn't mean much in this context).
  • Rebooting every piece of hardware/network equipment.
  • Virus scan.
  • MS Defender Disabled.

I'm at a total loss of where to go from here (And Microsoft decided to remove the ability to mount NFS shares as a network drive in Windows 10…) and wondering if anyone has any further things for me to try, even if they are blatantly obvious things to do – I expect the solution will be something very silly/simple (At this point I'm willing to try pretty much anything).

Full Samba log: https://gist.github.com/Cameron-D/372eb5e64cb04acc4758

Can provide packet dumps or any other debug info if they would be useful.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I'm not entirely sure what's causing the problems you are having. It sounds like a permissions issue. I spent a few minutes looking at your debug files and have a few quick suggestions:
  1. Go to Services -> CIFS and make sure that the box is checked next to the ip-address for your server.
  2. You are sharing the root dataset of your pool /mnt/storage. I don't recommend doing this. For testing purposes make the following changes:
    • Create a child dataset "/mnt/storage/samba"
    • Expand "storage"->"Volumes" -> "/mnt/storage/samba" and change permissions so that it is owned by "storage:storage" and permissions type is windows.
    • Modify your samba share's config so that it is pointing towards "/mnt/storage/samba" and check the box "apply default permissions".
Once you have made the changes under (2), test connectivity with your windows 10 computer.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Ah, just noticed. Your server only has 2GB memory. FreeNAS requires a minimum of 8GB RAM. Things start to get really flakey at 2GB. Services may not work properly and you run the risk of losing data.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I see 2GB of RAM as being your problem. You should have no expectation of the OS even booting with that little RAM, let alone expect it to work.

Try upgrading to 8GB of RAM. I bet the issue will magically go away when you upgrade. :P

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
I see 2GB of RAM as being your problem. You should have no expectation of the OS even booting with that little RAM, let alone expect it to work.

Try upgrading to 8GB of RAM. I bet the issue will magically go away when you upgrade. [emoji14]
Don't say such atrocities over on homeserver subreddit.....those guys are adamant that 4gb is plenty for freenas.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's a reason why I don't even bother posting (or reading) reddit. They do NOT have a clue what they are talking about.

Cadet
Oh of course. Hadn't really considered that, been intending to upgrade for a while. Don't think I'm going to get a chance to buy some this weekend so might be a bit before I get back to you about it.

Cadet
A recent FreeNAS or Windows update seems to've fixed this (Because nothing else has changed in the past few days except running those).

More RAM is still on the way regardless :)

Status
Not open for further replies.