Storage, data sets and hidden volumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
Hi,

As you might understand i am new to FreeNAS (something i am kicking myself for more and more after 2 days of usage :)
But i understand that there is something i dont understand.

Creating datasets seams like what i want to do, but i have mananged to create some "hidden" parts on the storage device aswell.
Like in this image, the "folder" movies cant be created as a data set as i have already created it.
I named something movies because i "thought" it would create a folder.

2018_05_19_06_04_16_freenas_FreeNAS_11.1_U4_89e3d93bc_.png

Dose anyone know how i can correct this and create a data set names "movies"?

Sorry if this is a totaly stupid questions, tried googling but didnt give me much :(

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
But i understand that there is something i don't understand.
Quite a lot, no doubt, but don't let that bother you--there's at least one "something" for all of us. Unfortunately, the image you tried to attach didn't come through, so it's hard to see what you're talking about. You can just paste images into your post (at least if you're using Firefox), or use the Upload a File button to upload them.

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
Wops! my bad! Thanks for the notice!
This is the image
Cheers

Attachments

• 2018_05_19_06_04_16_freenas_FreeNAS_11.1_U4_89e3d93bc_.png
    2018_05_19_06_04_16_freenas_FreeNAS_11.1_U4_89e3d93bc_.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 206

danb35

Hall of Famer
So you've apparently created a subdirectory at /mnt/storage/content/movies. Directories don't show on the Storage page, only pools and datasets--that's why you aren't seeing it on that page. In the past, FreeNAS would let you create a dataset over the top of an existing directory, which resulted in a good bit of confusion (when that happens, any data that was already in the directory gets hidden). Now, FreeNAS (usually) prevents you from doing that. So, you have a couple of options:
  • Don't create a dataset at all, and just use the existing directory.
  • If you want a dataset for your movies, rename the directory (to something like movies2), create the dataset, then move everything from movies2/ to movies/.

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
So you've apparently created a subdirectory at /mnt/storage/content/movies. Directories don't show on the Storage page, only pools and datasets--that's why you aren't seeing it on that page. In the past, FreeNAS would let you create a dataset over the top of an existing directory, which resulted in a good bit of confusion (when that happens, any data that was already in the directory gets hidden). Now, FreeNAS (usually) prevents you from doing that. So, you have a couple of options:
  • Don't create a dataset at all, and just use the existing directory.
  • If you want a dataset for your movies, rename the directory (to something like movies2), create the dataset, then move everything from movies2/ to movies/.
Thanks @danb35 ,
Just one last question if you dont mind, can i rename the sub-directory?

danb35

Hall of Famer
can i rename the sub-directory?
Of course, but not through the FreeNAS web GUI. It'd be easy to do at the CLI ( mv movies movies2), or you might be able to do it through a networked computer's file browser, depending on how your shares are set up.

pete.magnusson

Dabbler
Of course, but not through the FreeNAS web GUI. It'd be easy to do at the CLI ( mv movies movies2), or you might be able to do it through a networked computer's file browser, depending on how your shares are set up.
Awesome! Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.