Step 1: Cannot acces FreeNAS IP address

Status
Not open for further replies.

d2id2

Cadet
booted up freeNAS which did not auto configure (on 1st boot) my HP NC380T network adaptor (which should work great according to another thread I saw somewhere -uses a broadcom chipset), so I manually picked one of the 2 ports, said "no" DHCP and set up IPv4 as 192.168.1.1, 255.255.255.0, and said "no" IPv6. On the next boot it found it and said I should try 192.168.1.1 to configure.

(edit- HP NC380T should be compatible as here- http://forums.freenas.org/archive/index.php/t-193.html)

It appears to be recognized and working. When I connect my laptop to the NAS via a gigabit switch the lights on the switch blinky blinky in unison indicating some kind of connection. On Windowes it says "unknown connection" for this network.

However, I cannot access the IP adress 192.168.1.1 from any browser on my laptop, it times out. Both when I set the adaptor in the laptop manually to 192.168.1.*** (255.255.255.0) and also when I set the laptop adaptor to "auto." And multiple reboots of everything of course.

Seems to to be something basic?

EDIT: well it was something basic- I had the cable on the NAS connected into the 2nd ethernet connector instead of the 1st (this card has 2 connections). I assumed since one was registering on the switch that I had plugged it into the correct port, but alas, no. Stay tuned for more basic questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.