Static Jail MAC Address

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariusbrouwe

Cadet
Since FreeNAS 8.2.0 Release I noticed that the MAC Address is dynamic for the Jail environment. I have my router setup to block unknown MAC addresses. This because we share an internet connection with 6 people and don't want everybody to add friends to the network making it impossible monitor the network. Everytime I reboot my NAS it changes. It really don't reboot it that often but it can be quite annoying to have to add the new MAC address every time. Is it possible to keep the Jail MAC address fixed? If so how? Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Haha. I've noticed the same thing. I'll put a ticket in for it. I see there's no ticket asking for this, and this is a little bit of a PITA(especially if you want to setup port forwarding).

cyberjock

Inactive Account

mariusbrouwe

Cadet
Thanks for adding the ticket noobsauce80. I just wanted to remark that for port forwarding it makes no difference whether or not the mac address is dynamic. The IP address is all that is needed to forward ports and in the plugins settings you are forced to add a static IP address.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If the MAC address is dynamic it's hard to set a static IP in the router. The router will assign it a new IP every reboot because it gets a different mac address every time.

mariusbrouwe

Cadet
I understand that would be the case if it would be possible to set a DHCP server in the jail plugin interface. But that option is not available and you are forced to add a fixed IP.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My DHCP server is my router. When the jail boots up it gets a new MAC address. When it finds my router and obtains a new IP I get another entry in my router log.

At least, when I've had multiple reboots I'd find random new entries in my DHCP list.

Billys

Dabbler
I have version r12825 and i have the same problem, random MAC addresses for the jail.
Every time i reboot my Freenas the epair0b MAC address changes.
How can i solve it ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Short answer.. you can't. You'll have to wait for 9.1 I believe since that's the milestone.

ProtoSD

MVP
I thought it was supposed to be 9.1 also, but I think it may have been fixed in the 8.3.1 Beta that was release in the last day or so. William said to expect it in this release instead of 9.x.

Billys

Dabbler
I found that:

I thought it was supposed to be 9.1 also, but I think it may have been fixed in the 8.3.1 Beta that was release in the last day or so. William said to expect it in this release instead of 9.x.

That's why i ask a solution, because in my version it is n't solved.

ProtoSD

MVP
I just wanted to follow up on this and say that it has been fixed in 8.3.1-Beta1. Please be sure to read the release notes and official announcement warnings in the links I posted above.

Status
Not open for further replies.