Problem with mac changing on bhyve reboot after 11.2 upgrade

xyz

Cadet
Hi,

Have a freenas setup thats been there for some year (think first setup was freenas 9, then upgraded)
Upgraded from 11.1 to 11.2 just a week ago and noticed today that I had problems with a local NFS mount from a ubuntu bhyve VM created a few months ago while on 11.1.

Basically it turned out that after restart, network connectivity between VM and Freenas does not work.
After debugging a bit, I noticed that the VM was connected to tap1 and got a new mac address on every boot.
The old arp entry on freenas side is not deleted automatically and has a rather long timeout, so NFS mount in boot got stuck.

Entering the device settings, , I found a mac address assigned, but did not match what the VM had.
I hit the "generate random mac" button, then save, and mac stopped changing on every boot.

I am not 100% sure if the change of mac address on every reboot is a bug or a feature, but if it is a feature, I think the lack of arp table delete/update on freenas side is a bug.

Anyway, simple workaround for now.

I could not find anything about this issue when searching so thought I should share here.

D

dlavigne

This is worth reporting at bugs.freenas.org. If you do, post the issue number here.