Static address, interfaces and host name

Status
Not open for further replies.

monarchdodra

Explorer
So, I'm trying to set up my Freenas (Odin) to have a static IP binding (192.168.1.203). Current DHCP is set to "192.168.1.12"

Following the same tutorial that's all over the web, I created an "Interface" with said IP address.

This works, but it is creating a lot of problems for me:
Router: The router still sees a machine called "Odin" at "192.168.1.12". (This is after 24h btw)
WebGUI: I can not access it via "http://Odin" anymore. I have to manually go to "http://192.168.1.203".
SSH: I can't log into "root@Odin" anymore. Gotta login to "root@192.168.1.203".
CIFS - Win7: I can still access "\\Odin" and see the shares.
CIFS - XP: I have no access to "\\Odin" anymore (gotta go to "\\192.168.1.203"). I can not browse my workgroup anymore either (access denied).

So it seems I have to basically choose between being able to access my Freenas by name, or giving it a static IP :/

Any help?

tingo

Contributor
Depending on what DHCP server you have, it is possible to configure it to give out a "static lease", based on parameters set in the client. For FreeNAS, you currently have to do it manually (but see my feature request here: http://forums.freenas.org/showthread.php?6965-DHCP-parameters) , by editing /etc/dhclient.conf and setting required parameters there (remember that in fact, you will need to mount root read-write, and edit /conf/base/etc/dhclient.conf, save it, and mount root read-only). Also, you need to configure your DHCP server to respond correctly to each client.

StephenFry

Contributor
That the router sees a machine at .1.12 is strange - is it not simply *reporting* that it once existed? Try pinging it, I'm sure it won't respond. Many routers will retain info on DHCP'd machines forever, yet won't show much -if anything- about static-IP machines. Mine has a list of dozens of machines that I have barely recollection of ever owning.

Since your machine is called Odin, it makes sense you can access \\Odin in W7. WinXP isn't the strongest in (NetBIOS) networking, unless you have reason to want to browse, it's more stable to use IP addresses.

It is however a concern that you get an access denied error on your own workgroup.

Is that for your entire workgroup?!? If it's just for one or two machines, maybe some old/wrong credentials have been stored. Clear them with: "net use * /delete /yes" and log in again.

monarchdodra

Explorer
Hi there, thanks for the feed back. I was able to solve most of my problems.

The XP workgroup problems where miss-configurations on my side.

As for the rest of the problems, I ended up creating an interface with a DHCP IP address, and then adding a static (192.168.1.202) alias to it.

So now, when I ask for "Odin", my router is perfectly aware, and all my computers can find Odin (regardless of protocol).
As for external access, I asked my rooter to forward certain ports to that static IP, and it also works.

Yay to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.