Start Rsync Tasks

Status
Not open for further replies.

smbenson

Cadet
I just upgraded to 8.0.2 and am trying to get Rsync configured. I was using 7.2, Delta Copy server on my windows boxes, and Rsync client on freenas. The gui was easy to set up and worked easily. I have set up one of my rsync tasks, but don't know how to initiate the task or check if I am getting any errors. No log views or manually execute task options are available in the new gui.

I have a task that is set to operate every minute of every hour of every day and it hasn't done anything yet. I have turned rsync service on and off, but still no joy.

Any help on how this new system works would be appreciated.

Milhouse

Guru
Your post is a bit confusing, you're talking about rsync tasks (rsync client) and services (rsyncd).

If you're talking about the rsync tasks, I guess you could add "--log-file=/var/log/rsync-client.log" to the "Extra options" field of the rsync task on FreeNAS, then check that file for errors. Also check /var/log/messages and /var/log/cron for errors.

There's no way to initiate the task via the GUI, it will run automatically according to the schedule you have setup.

A limitation of the current 8.0.2 rsync task setup is that you can only "push" data TO a remote server FROM FreeNAS; you can't yet schedule a task to "pull" data FROM a remote server TO FreeNAS (though this is apparently now possible in nightlies).

If however you want to push data from your Windows box to FreeNAS, you need to setup an rsync "module" and choose that as the target when running the rsync client (Delta Copy). To enable logging on FreeNAS, I would suggest adding the following "Auxiliary parameters" to the rsyncd service configuration:
Code:
log file=/var/log/rsyncd.log
transfer logging=true
log format="%o %h [%a] %m (%u) [%i] %f %l"

smbenson

Cadet
Finally figured out that version 8 client only pushes and doesn't pull like version 7. Because of that I have to use the freenas server module mode and the client on delta copy to initiate the jobs. Also it allows using the delta copy logger to troubleshoot connection/auth problems.

smbenson

Cadet
Good to hear that they are adding the push/pull functionality again. It is much easier to schedule everything in one place instead of at each workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.