SOLVED Standard Jail Template Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pseudolife

Dabbler
Hello,

I have an issue with my standard jail template. I have a work-around in place for now, but I'd feel more comfortable with a proper fix, and some idea of how I broke things.

I'm new to FreeNAS, hence posting in this forum with my error. I've been working on this home NAS project in my spare time for only a few weeks or so.

Some basics about my machine:
My FreeNAS machine is a Dell tower that was given to me for this project.
FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201512121950
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16312MB RAM
I have a pair of 1 Tb drives mirrored as one pool, and a pair of 3 Tb drives mirrored for a second pool. This maxes out the machine in terms of hard drives the motherboard can support.

The Problem:
After getting a couple of plugins more or less working, I went about setting a standard jail, and quickly got an error: "Unable to Find Template." It doesn't even attempt to download anything.

I found several forum posts on this topic, and reading through them it looked like this error can be related to many different issues. I started down the path of fixing things with the most obvious: I verified it wasn't a DNS problem by pinging google, and even changing my name servers to google's. This didn't' work.
Next I checked my collection url, which was pointed to here: http://download.freenas.org/latest/RELEASE/x64/jails and was returning a 404 error. I replaced it with http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64 but that didn't fix the problem either.
I then tried the instructions found here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/unable-to-find-template.38905/#post-237870 but got an "ERROR: A template with this nickname already exists!" error when attempting make a new "standard" nicknamed template. I was able to run the command with a different name, but it didn't help.

A quick side note:
The standard warden that was in my data set (before I deleted it as part of this fix) had a shockingly small size. It was around 950k instead of the gig+ that it should have been.

At this point I did something a little strange. I setup a new jail data set on my second (smaller) pool and changed the jail location in the GUI. Immediately my existing plugin jails vanished from the GUI listing, but in this new location I was able to make a standard jail, along with the warden that goes with it. When I tried a JLS command, I found all three jails were listed. The GUI, however, will only show jails related the current jail directory, which I have changed back and forth a few times now.

This leads me to believe that I could probably kill my messed up jail data set (with all the jails in it) and start fresh to get rid of this problem, but that would mean setting up my plugins & jails again. I could also probably just live with having jails on two volumes, but that's more of a work around than a fix, and I suspect I would regret it sooner or later.

I'm hoping there is a better option here, and any help or advice would be appreciated.

(Note: post originally written late at night while very frustrated. Edited the next day to be less rambling.)

Last edited:

m0nkey_

MVP
Not exactly a supported method, but should get you up and running again. The correct way is to create a new jails dataset and migrate everything to it.

- Remove the warden standard jail snapshot
- Delete the warden standard jail dataset
- Log in to your box, change directory to the jails dataset and do a ls -ah to find the warden meta data, it should start with .warden
- Delete (rm) the warden meta data directory

Once you've done that, try creating a new jail, the warden will now re-download the jail template.

Pseudolife

Dabbler
With your help m0nkey_ I seem to have got this fixed.

I verified that there were no snapshots of the ".warden-template-standard" dataset.

I went in via putty and used sudo rm -rf command on the ".warden-template-standard" directory that was present.

I then attempted to use the GUI to make a new jail. I got excited as it started to (slowly) download the needed "freenas-standard-9.3-RELEASE.tgz" but when it finished I got the "unable to find template" error again. This is different than before when no download or percentage bar was displayed.

I tried making new jails a couple more times, and they didn't have the long slow download, but still had the template error once they reached 100%.

So, I hopped back into Putty and looked at the jail directory, and noticed it didn't have a standard warden directory or meta data obviosly floating around like it did before.

I figured, why not try "warden template create -nick 'standard' -tar http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64/freenas-standard-9.3-RELEASE.tgz" again? This created a warden dataset with the proper size to it that showed up in my GUI. The instructions where I got that command from ( https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/unable-to-find-template.38905/#post-237870 ) say to restart before attempting to make a jail, so I did that.

After the restart I once again attempted to use the GUI to make a new standard jail.... and it worked!

Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.