cannot create Jail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dabbler
I'm trying to get virtuabox in a jail by using the template. i the jail a name and set the ip address. But this happens:
http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.2/x64/freenas-virtualbox-4.3.12.tgz: No address record ERROR: Failed extracting: http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.2/x64/freenas-virtualbox-4.3.12.tgz cannot open 'Volume-1/jails/.warden-template-VirtualBox-4.3.12': dataset does not exist ERROR: Failed to create ZFS base dataset

The download exist, so that's not the problem. Volume-!/jails exist. i don't know what to do? do i need to get the .warden-template-VirtualBox-4.3.12? I'm running FreeNas-9.2.1.7.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
From the CLI on the server can you ping download.freenas.org?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep.. your FreeNAS server can't resolve websites. So either your FreeNAS isn't on the internet on purpose, your firewall isn't passing the traffic, or you've misconfigured your network/FreeNAS server somewhere. Unfortunately only you can figure out which one (or more) of the 3 apply.

Dabbler
Yep.. your FreeNAS server can't resolve websites. So either your FreeNAS isn't on the internet on purpose, your firewall isn't passing the traffic, or you've misconfigured your network/FreeNAS server somewhere. Unfortunately only you can figure out which one (or more) of the 3 apply.
I don't know if this is the reason, but i really don't want my freenas to be connected to the internet. If the data is lost it's a major problem. I don't know if it's bad to be connected to the internet, I heard something about encryption and people losing all there files or they have to pay ***$ to get there stuff back?

EDIT:
i just did factory settings (8 from the menu). It works now, but the nas got a different ip. before the factory settings, i used 1 from te menu to set my em0 to 192.168.10.99. it's now 192.168.10.10. i made the change becasuse after a reboot the nas god a different ip address. What to do? a different ip address is pretty annoying and the nas is off every night.

EDIT2:
I still don't know about the static ip, but virtualbox is working :). i ran into more problems sadly. I can't figure out how to get fullscreen virtualbox. i got a preview in the browser but it's really small and i can't use my keyboard and mouse. Is it possible to get virtualbox like it is installed on a normal pc? i got a simple gpu in my nas if that's needed

Last edited:

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I don't know if this is the reason, but i really don't want my freenas to be connected to the internet. If the data is lost it's a major problem. I don't know if it's bad to be connected to the internet, I heard something about encryption and people losing all there files or they have to pay ***$ to get there stuff back?

It's not bad, but it shouldn't be directly connected to the internet. Through a firewall is safe enough, and is how 99.9% of installs are done.

Yeah, encryption and people losing files isn't because of the server. It's because they got a virus on their desktop that encrypted their entire server. Your server doesn't have to be on the internet for that to get you. You just have to have access to the server's shares from an infected desktop. So no, not a valid argument to avoid the internet on your server. ;)

You're going to find that many features in FreeNAS like jails and updates require internet access. You can do them without internet, but its nontrivial and *nobody* does it. So don't be surprised if you have problems and people say "well, hook your server up to the internet".

Dabbler
It's not bad, but it shouldn't be directly connected to the internet. Through a firewall is safe enough, and is how 99.9% of installs are done.

Yeah, encryption and people losing files isn't because of the server. It's because they got a virus on their desktop that encrypted their entire server. Your server doesn't have to be on the internet for that to get you. You just have to have access to the server's shares from an infected desktop. So no, not a valid argument to avoid the internet on your server. ;)

You're going to find that many features in FreeNAS like jails and updates require internet access. You can do them without internet, but its nontrivial and *nobody* does it. So don't be surprised if you have problems and people say "well, hook your server up to the internet".
Thanx a lot :).

can you link me to a good guide? i can't really find a good one and i need some help :). for the static ip and for virtualbox.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There's no real "guides". You just have to know how to apply the proper technology for the proper situation.

Dabbler
There's no real "guides". You just have to know how to apply the proper technology for the proper situation.
How to solve my problems then? i need to know how to set a static ip, which i thought was by changing the ip in menu 1, but you don't have an internet connection, so i need to solve that. I also need to fix virtualbox so i can view virtualbox fullscreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.