Jail templates in 9.3.x - any solution, yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Hi, all,

after Upgrade from 9.2 to 9.3 all Templates except this one are missing in the GUI:

VirtualBox-4.3.12
http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.2/x64/freenas-virtualbox-4.3.12.tgz

This is the output on the command line:

[root@freenas-pmh] ~# warden template list
Jail Templates:
------------------------------
pluginjail--x64 - FreeBSD (amd64)

Oddly enough the VirtualBox template is not listed and the pluginjail--x64 is not visible in the GUI. I have one mineos plugin jail active since 9.2 times that references the pluginjail--x64 template.

I can manually add the standard--x64 template through the GUI from this URL:
http://download.freenas.org/jails/9.3/x64/freenas-standard-9.3-RELEASE.tgz
That does not show in the warden template list output, either.

And what happened to all the other templates like Debian, Centos, etc.? I'm reluctant to upgrade the FreeNAS of a friend that I look after from time to time. He relies heavily on a Debian jail running Logitech Media Server - this Perl monster that fails to install on anything but the Linux distribution the devs seem to have used ;)

I found various threads about jails and plugins but no solution.

Thanks for any hints
Patrick

D

dlavigne

And what happened to all the other templates like Debian, Centos, etc.? I'm reluctant to upgrade the FreeNAS of a friend that I look after from time to time. He relies heavily on a Debian jail running Logitech Media Server - this Perl monster that fails to install on anything but the Linux distribution the devs seem to have used ;)

Regarding this part, from http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_intro.html#what-s-new-in-9-3:
  • The Linux jail templates have been removed as they were too experimental and limited to 32-bit. Instead, use the VirtualBox template, which installs a web-based instance of phpVirtualBox, and use that to install the desired Linux distro or any other operating system.
  • The various FreeBSD jail templates have been replaced with one FreeBSD template to reduce confusion in knowing which template to use.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
Thanks, Dru.

Reading release notes obviously helps. :) Sorry.
So this is expected behaviour as far as the Linux templates are concerned.

This leave's only the questions:

* Is it also expected that there is only a "VirtualBox" Template in 9.3?
* How do I create a jail when don't want VirtualBox in it?

Thanks again
Patrick

D

dlavigne

* How do I create a jail when don't want VirtualBox in it?

The default is to create a FreeBSD jail, unless you specify that template.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
It is far from obvious from the user interface that you can leave the "Template" selector at "-------".
second, even when reading the release notes I dare to call the change a big POLA violation.

Existing 9.2 jails will continue to work after upgrade to 9.3?

Thanks a lot
Patrick

D

dlavigne

That assumes you go into Advanced. 9.3 jails were designed to be easier for new users to use as now the only requirement is to input the jail name, rather than pick and choose from a bunch of confusing, and often redundant, choices. Which doesn't help if you're used to doing something different or like to see what's hiding in Advanced ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.