SSH keys

Status
Not open for further replies.

avalon60

Guru
I have been trying to setup SSH in FreeNAS 9.10 following this guide :
https://www.familybrown.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fester:ssh_setup&s[]=ssh#dokuwiki__content

Part way down the page under Modify User it says
'The modify user window should now pop up. Scroll down till you come across the “SSH Public Key:” entry (1)'.
Yes ok I see that.

'Now right click in the blank box next to it and paste in the previously copied public key (2). '
Now here is my question, where does it say on that webpage to copy a said key, as I cannot see where it does. Also where is the blank box next to the SSH Public Key.

SSH was already running before I did anything, so should I have stopped SSH?

Last edited:
D

dlavigne

Were you able to resolve this?

I can't access the URL to the howto, but I assume it told you how to make the key and take a copy of it. It's the public key that you want to paste into that box.

avalon60

Guru
No I have not resolved it yet. I did manage to work out that it was the public key but after I did copy the said key into the box, I am getting 'Permission denied (Public Key)

The URL is working , but I do recall it was very slow to load up.
I worked out what this meant: Now right click in the blank box next to it and paste in the previously copied public key (2).
It means the box next to where it says SSH Public Key

Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
where does it say on that webpage to copy a said key
Goof on my part--I'd done some reformatting when I built that page. There was a lot of material with PuTTY that I'd intended to move to its own page that I don't think I've gotten around to yet.

avalon60

Guru
Ok I managed to get it working earler, but what I had to do, was to use this cmd: ssh-add, and it added the id_rsa file to somwhere, and I then could get into my NAS box just using keys.

The webpage/site is your's then dab35?

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yes, the wiki you're linking to is hosted on my server. I didn't write it (@UncleFester did), but I wiki-fied it and made some changes in doing so. A version of it has also been put on the official FreeNAS wiki, though all on a single page rather than broken into multiple pages like I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.