SSH Key Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIGISTX

Guru
I am pretty noob, so I will preface it with that. But I have done a lot of googling and digging, so if I missed something stupid simple, my apologies.

I finally have my new server up and running and am trying to implement SSH keys for the first time on my user account. I have used puttygen to create the key pair and have placed the public key in the webui. I got the key string from opening the public key file via wordpad (I assume this is fine..?) and pasted that in the webui under my user account's "SSH Public Key:" option and have confirmed via FTP that the file was created and the contents match the key I copied in to the webui. Which is good, cuz, it should ;)

To me, it seems like this is only working half way. What I am experiencing is as follows;

if I do not provide the private key to putty, I get;

Using username "xxx".
Server refused our key
xxx@192.168.x.xxx's password:

If I do provide the key, I get:
Using username "xxx".
xxx@192.168.x.xxx's password:

This tells me it is trying to use a password... And if I provide my password it will successfully log in. I have tried this with and without "Disable password login:" option checked on my user account, it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have tried to restart the SSH process in between switching this check box as well to no avail. Should I try something more "serious" like a reboot? I know "did you try turning it on and off again" is like the 99% fix, but I was copying data to the server at the time and didn't want to do that. I technically can do that now, but for some reason I just feel like FreeNAS wouldn't be "that dumb" as needing a restart to get this right.

Any ideas?

LIGISTX

Guru
Never mind, after about 4 hours of dicking around, it worked. I am not even sure what was wrong.......

But now I can't seem to give myself sudo even though my user group has sudo box checked. I am not sure why that is.

LIGISTX

Guru
AAAAAAAAnd thats cuz I guess you can't check the "Disable password login:" and still have sudo ability. One day, I will understand how this all works lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.