SOLVED SSH hangs and general extreme slowness

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIGISTX

Guru
I am not sure what is going on, nor what is causing it, but it looks like my box is struggling. It takes ~11 seconds just to get a login prompt through SSH... and about that long to actually authenticate.

I had to re-install freenas yesterday due to some errors I was getting that I frankly had no idea what they meant. The webUI was throwing timeout errors, SSH was going extremely slow, and I saw samba errors popping up on my monitor plugged into the machine. I have no idea what I did to cause that, but I chalked it up to some root privileges gone wrong. Problem is, looks like SSH is slow again.

I am not physically near my server this weekend so I don't know what the webui nor the monitor is showing, but I can feel SSH going very slowly. What should I be looking for here? This is a fresh install as of yesterday, so it has just over 24 hours on it. I have set a bunch of things up, most of my jails, but I started the config from scratch, I didn't load a previous backup.

I was totally fine on 11.0 for many months, 11.1 U4 has been on my box for 2 weeks and it has presented a few issues with jexec and cron job's, but now I have no idea what is causing these issues.

What logs should I be looking for? I really am clueless as to what is going on. I don't even know where to start, but I am starting to wonder if I should jump back to 9.x or possibly 11.0 since I have no idea what is going on, but my box isn't usable like this.

All I have done was install nginx as a reverse proxy for a couple jails, installed plex, syncthing, and tautulli. I set a couple directories to use the newly created user account's via chown, I didn't touch the root users folders at all, I only messed with things on my vdev. That is the extent of what I have done. Could there be some driver issues with my HBA causing some struggles? It seemed fine on 11.0, not sure if anything changed for 11.1. I had some issues re-installed freenas on my boot SSD, but even if that was causing issues, once the machine is booted the OS is basically in RAM, correct? Thus SSH shouldn't hang due to a bad boot drive? Obviously if the boot drive is bad that is a major issue, but I am not sure how to diagnose that in freenas beyond running a S.M.A.R.T. test.

The machine seemed fine yesterday as I was using it and setting up my config and jails, not sure why is causing it to act in this way today.

LIGISTX

Guru
Well, I decided I had to try and figure out wtf is going. Started turning off jails one at a time since I can't see it being freenas itself. To many people are on it for it to be this unstable. To me it felt like an IO issue or something. TOP didn't show any CPU load, not to many processes....

But, I did stop my syncthing service in its jail, as soon as I did, it looked to be fine. I am not sure if its syncthing itself, or there was a new option recently to allow for active "watching" for changes in the directories being monitored. I wonder if that is causing some abnormal behavior. In the same vane, I made sure plex isn't watching for changes either...

As of now, it looks to be working ok. But if anything goes sideways I will for sure post again.

Status
Not open for further replies.