SSD boot drive connected to Supermicro SATA DOM connector keeps failing

Shelha

Cadet
Hello Everyone!

I am using a Supermicro X10DRH-CT in a Supermicro 2U chassis that I bought from Ebay. The chassis came with a rear cage with a back plane for 2-2.5 SSDs that can be used as OS drives. The server came preconfigured with the cage attached to what Supermicro refers to SATA DOM ports (they are orange and apparently they are self powered to support DOM SATA drives).
After installing a pair of Crucial MX500, 480GB brand new disks, I installed TrueNAS 12.0-U8 and mirrored the 2 drives, after a day or 2, TrueNAS removes the drive installed in the SATA0 port from the pool with the following errors:

Current alerts:
* Device: /dev/ada1, not capable of SMART self-check.
* Device: /dev/ada1, failed to read SMART Attribute Data.
* Device: /dev/ada1, Read SMART Self-Test Log Failed.
* Device: /dev/ada1, Read SMART Error Log Failed.

Current alerts:
* Boot pool status is DEGRADED: One or more devices has been removed by the administrator. Sufficient replicas exist for the pool to continue functioning in a degraded state..

I took the drive out and installed it in a windows PC, the drive was recognized and Crystal Disk reports health at 100%, ran SMART short and Long tests and the drive passed them both with no issues. I re-installed the drive in the Supermicro server, TrueNAS recognized it, proceeded to WIPE the drive and then attached it to the Boot Pool. The drive will work for a day or two and then the same errors and degraded pool warnings happened. At that point I proceeded to change the SATA cables, that did not work; replaced the entire rear cage and backplane, that did not work either; I swapped the two drives and whichever drive is connected to the SATA0 port fails, which leads me to believe the issue is not the drives but the ports.

After all these, (sorry for the very long write up) is the issue with the self powered DOM SATA connector? Are they only to be used with DOM SATA drives? I have not been able to find if other people had success connecting regular SATA SSDs to this type of ports, the fact that the Ebay vendor sent the server with the rear cage ports connected to the DOM SATA connectors gave me the impression that it is allowed (maybe a bad assumption in my part), I have 4 other regular SATA 3 connectors on the motherboard, but I currently do not have long enough cables to test, they are on order, but got delayed due to a bad snow storm. In the meantime I though it would be helpful to ask if someone has had a similar experience as me. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!!

Shelha

Cadet
Hello Everyone.

I thought it would be a good idea to give an update on my situation just in case it could be useful to someone else.

After replacing the SATA cables for longer ones, I connected the two crucial drives to regular SATA3 connectors and the issue was still happening. I kept searching the forums and the web and eventually came across a post from Johnnie Black in this thread:

Where he mentions a bug in the Crucial MX500 SSDs firmware that causes errors while performing SMART tests, apparently Crucial never cared to fix it so the errors and issues are still happening.

As a solution I decided to try SATADOM drives and in doing so, I gained back two slots to add more SSDs to one of the pools I was planning on building for virtualization. I got a pair of Innodisk SATADOM-SL 3ME4 64GB and after reinstalling the OS and restoring my configuration, the errors and warnings about my pool being degraded have stopped. I removed the Crucial MX500 drives and replaced them with 2, 1TB SK hynix SSDs.

It has been a few days and the server is running with no issues, so my suggestion will be to avoid the Crucial MX500 SSDs until Crucial fixes the issue (if ever, since it has been around for a very long time).

Cheers!