SOLVED 9.3 USB vs SSD vs SATA DOM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeschmuck

Old Man
Expensive, huh? Makes me wonder if it's worth not running SATA cables to an SSD that can be tucked away pretty much anywhere...
I just purchased a 120GB SSD for $49.99 (just had to wait for a reasonable sale price) delivered to my door. I'm not saying that this particular SSD has any credibility but the price was right. All I was looking for was 32GB to 120GB for under $50.00. This is much cheaper than the DOMs others are purchasing and with it being 120GB, I do have the option to use it in some other project later if I find out I don't really need it, but I doubt that will happen.

I'm not going to mirror my boot device, it's a home system and it if dies for some reason, I'll fix it like I would if my USB drive were to die today.

My advice is, with all the Black Friday sales going on over the month, have an idea in your mind of what you want and a price, when you see something that fits the bill go on sale (and it will), buy it.

mjws00

Guru
^^^ This. :)

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Expensive, huh? Makes me wonder if it's worth not running SATA cables to an SSD that can be tucked away pretty much anywhere...
I've made myself a promise to not buy any more SSDs with capacity less than 200GB. They just fill up too fast!
That said, I wanted to play with this Disk On Module thing. I happened to be shopping at memorydepot.com to
pick up some sticks of DDR3, while on their website, this caught my eye.
16GB InnoLite SATADOM D150QH Horizontal $43.75
Here's a link to the specs, comparable to desktop SSDs (I think).
I don't intend to mirror my boot drive either...

solarisguy

Guru
I wonder how popular motherboards are that have ability to use two SATADOMs without cables and blocking of other SATA ports... None of mine can. And I do not have spare SATA ports, while I have lots of unused USB ports.

So instead of $69.99 for a 32GB SATADOM http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816139090

I intend to pay $71.99 for a 32GB USB http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K61YY1529

With USB, I can have two of them, and have an easy(?) mirror...

Me thinks that 25MB/s on USB 2.0 would not drive me crazzzzy on the root/boot device.

BigDave

FreeNAS Enthusiast
Me thinks that 25MB/s on USB 2.0 would not drive me crazzzzy on the root/boot device
That (25MBs) would drive me crazy after paying $144 for them :eek:

J

jkh

I think this thread has accomplished all it was even faintly possible to accomplish. :). Closing before it takes another wild turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.