Sporadic Daily E-Mails

Status
Not open for further replies.

briancmoses

Dabbler
This is a bit of a newbie question, or at least I think so. I can post it elsewhere if this sub-forum's not the most appropriate place.

So, a few weeks (months?!) back I started noticing that the two daily emails weren't coming quite-so-daily anymore. Those emails subject line read:
  • <machine> security run output
  • <machine> daily run output
I dug through a few of those emails and between their output, an error I happened to see in the console, I was able to determine that I'd run out of space on the /var filesystem. One forum thread suggested a reboot might help alleviate that symptom, which it did.

Since I was already engaged, I decided to go ahead and upgrade FreeNAS to the latest version (I can't remember exactly what version, but it was older than 9.2) and to go ahead and add a few drives I've had waiting for ages. I upgraded first, then copied my data elsewhere and destroyed/recreated my zpool all without any kind of problems.

However, I have noticed in the few days since then, I still haven't been getting those same two emails on a daily basis. I'v ebeen getting the "security run output" email, but the "daily run output" has only happened once or twice since upgrading.

I've been reviewing the release notes and spied this in the release notes for 9.2:

FreeNAS no longer sends daily emails when email reporting is enabled
unless actual errors or issues of concern have arisen. Simply saying
“all is well!” each and every day was causing email fatigue and obscuring
actual errors. Those wishing for daily “all is well!” reports can simply
add a cron job that does this.

Is the update to the E-Mail Reporting in 9.2 the culprit behind me not seeing the "daily run output" email on a daily basis?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Yep. People got upset because it was "email fatigue". I call bullsh*t but was overruled.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Cool guys, thanks for confirming so quickly.

I agree with you, I'd rather have the email fatigue especially if the absence of the email could be a symptom of another issue.

Feel free to put a ticket in asking for nightly emails to be reinstated. I'll definitely comment on it if you do. :)

Knowltey

Patron
Yep, or at least an option in the GUI to toggle it between "always nightly" and "Issues only"

Status
Not open for further replies.