'Some Error Occurred' while trying to start any plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaypetermen

Dabbler
Every other day or so, one or two plugins stop running and I can not get them started. I typically reboot the NAS and then none of the plugin will start.

I have tried the following with no success:
  • Restating all jails.
  • Stopping all jails and then ran 'service ix-plugins forcerestart' from the shell.
  • Stopping all jails, deleting the jails storage, re-adding jail storage, and then ran 'service ix-plugins forcerestart' from the shell.
  • Changing the IPv4 DHCP in the jail configuration, since I am running DHCP on the router, and then rebooted the NAS.

The only remedy that I have found is to delete all the jails storage, deleting all the plugins, re-installing all the plugins, adding jail storage and then manually re-configuring each plugin manually. Then after a day or two one on the plugin turns off, the plugin cannot be restated, I reboot my NAS, then none of the plugins will start, and the whole whole process starts over again.

I would like to find out why the plugins will not start and/or if there is a way to at least save the plugin configurations some how, so when I need to re-install the plugins, I would not need to go through and set up each plugin environments manually.

Code:
epair1b: Ethernet address: 02:e1:3b:00:0b:0b                                    
epair1a: link state changed to UP                                              
epair1b: link state changed to UP                                              
epair1a: promiscuous mode enabled                                              
ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair1b                        
arp: 6c:ad:f8:2c:51:81 is using my IP address 192.168.0.2 on epair1b!          
epair2a: Ethernet address: 02:eb:3b:00:0b:0a                                    
epair2b: Ethernet address: 02:eb:3b:00:0c:0b                                    
epair2a: link state changed to UP                                              
epair2b: link state changed to UP                                              
epair2a: promiscuous mode enabled                                              
ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair2b                        
epair3a: Ethernet address: 02:b1:3e:00:0c:0a                                    
epair3b: Ethernet address: 02:b1:3e:00:0d:0b                                    
epair3a: link state changed to UP                                              
epair3b: link state changed to UP                                              
epair3a: promiscuous mode enabled                                              
ng_ether_ifnet_arrival_event: can't re-name node epair3b                        
arp: 192.168.0.2 moved from 02:2a:fb:00:0a:0b to 6c:ad:f8:2c:51:81 on re0      

Code:
        media: Ethernet 10Gbase-T (10Gbase-T <full-duplex>)                    
        status: active                                                          
epair1a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                    
        ether 02:e1:3b:00:0a:0a                                                
        nd6 options=1<PERFORMNUD>                                              
epair2a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                    
        ether 02:eb:3b:00:0b:0a                                                
epair3a: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu
        options=8<VLAN_MTU>                                                    
        ether 02:b1:3e:00:0c:0a                                                

Code:

Routing tables                                                                  

Internet:                                                                      
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire      
default            192.168.0.1        UGS         0      641    re0            
127.0.0.1          link#7             UH          0     8111    lo0            
192.168.0.0/24     link#5             U           0     1622    re0            
192.168.0.13       link#5             UHS         0      207    lo0            

Internet6:                                                                      
Destination                       Gateway                       Flags      Netif
 Expire                                                                        
::/96                             ::1                           UGRS        lo0 
::1                               link#7                        UH          lo0 
::ffff:0.0.0.0/96                 ::1                           UGRS        lo0 
fe80::/10                         ::1                           UGRS        lo0 
fe80::%lo0/64                     link#7                        U           lo0 
fe80::1%lo0                       link#7                        UHS         lo0 
ff01::%lo0/32                     ::1                           U           lo0 
ff02::/16                         ::1                           UGRS        lo0 
ff02::%lo0/32                     ::1                           U           lo0 
[root@freenas ~]#    

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# jls                                                          
   JID  IP Address      Hostname                      Path                      
     1  -               couchpotato_1                 /mnt/plex/jails/couchpotat o_1                                                                            
     2  -               plexmediaserver_1             /mnt/plex/jails/plexmedias
erver_1                                                                        
     3  -               sabnzbd_1                     /mnt/plex/jails/sabnzbd_1 
     4  -               sonarr_1                      /mnt/plex/jails/sonarr_1  

FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503200528

Motherboard ASUS A55BM-PLUS/CSM FM2+ / FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2)
AMD A6-5400K APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
Memory 7339MB
2x WD Red 3TB NAS Hard Drive striped
100 Gigabit ethernet

jaypetermen

Dabbler
Just noticed that the Plex and Sonarr plugin icons are now broken/missing in the Plugins > Installed tab. What does that mean?

jaypetermen

Dabbler
Some more info, not sure it will help. Just tried 'service plexmediaserver onestart'.

Code:
[root@freenas ~]# jls
JID IP Address Hostname Path
1 - couchpotato_1 /mnt/plex/jails/couchpotat
o_1
2 - plexmediaserver_1 /mnt/plex/jails/plexmedias
erver_1
3 - sabnzbd_1 /mnt/plex/jails/sabnzbd_1
4 - sonarr_1 /mnt/plex/jails/sonarr_1

[root@freenas ~]# jexec 2 csh
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ # service plexmediaserver onestart
Starting plexmediaserver.
su: pam_start: system error
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/plexmediaserver: WARNING: failed to start plexmediaserver
root@plexmediaserver_1:/ #

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Did you change any permissions recently? For all your jails to quit working at once I think you might have modified the jail dataset permissions or the jails. You also don't have enough memory to run all those jails safely. You could maybe get away with one.

jaypetermen

Dabbler
I have not modified the jail dataset permissions, not sure why I would want to. Just left them as default.

The only think I have done with the jails (after adding storage to them) is try to restart, stop, start them after they turn off.

Do you think 12MB would be enough RAM?

jaypetermen

Dabbler
I placed an order for new memory, which will total 16G. Hopefully that will resolve this issue. :)

• Is there a good way to back up the plugin configuration data before deleting the plugins?
  • Are their any any scripts I could run to automate the plugin setup process? i.e; a script to install X, Y and Z plugins, add plugin storage, configure plugin X, configure plugin Y, etc.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
I placed an order for new memory, which will total 16G. Hopefully that will resolve this issue. :)

• Is there a good way to back up the plugin configuration data before deleting the plugins?
  • Are their any any scripts I could run to automate the plugin setup process? i.e; a script to install X, Y and Z plugins, add plugin storage, configure plugin X, configure plugin Y, etc.
Most plugins have a data-directory where their configuration & databases are in /var/db/PLUGIN.
A few plugins also have option available through FreeNAS's WebUI. These are stored in an SQLite file, but I think the best thing with these is to take a screenshot and re-enter them.

I don't think so, but possibly in the future. I think I read about an API somewhere.

jaypetermen

Dabbler
If most the plugins are in the /var/db/PLUGIN data-directory, is there a way to make batch file that FreeNAS could run to automatically save off a copy of the current configs and another to copy the configs over the newly installed plugin configs?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
If most the plugins are in the /var/db/PLUGIN data-directory, is there a way to make batch file that FreeNAS could run to automatically save off a copy of the current configs and another to copy the configs over the newly installed plugin configs?
Not sure what batch files have to do with this, isn't that some windows thing?
You need to backup and restory / copy over your data-directories, with the proper ownership. How you do it is up to you. I would personally do it on the command line with 'cp' and 'chown'.

Also, @SweetAndLow was right in asking if you changed any permission levels/ownership. This is usually what I see that causes that "su: pam_start" error.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Do you think 12MB would be enough RAM?

Sorry, 12MB of RAM isn't enough for the system kernel. But I'm sure you meant 12GB of RAM, and that should be okay as long as you don't try to go overboard with server workload.

That error is almost certainly due to permissions problems. You are probably trying to change the permissions for your entire pool or some share. Then, since the pool or share has the jail datasets inside them, you are unknowingly trashing the permissions.

But let there be no mistake. This is almost *definitely* a permissions issue. More than likely, one you are creating somehow.

jaypetermen

Dabbler
Replaced 2x4GB G-Skills with 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance and moved the problem plugin (Couchpotato) to another PC and everything appears to be working much better.

I even shutdown and restarted the NAS, after installing another hard drive, and all the plugins weren't lost.

cyberjock, Thanks for the heads up on the RAM. :)

naq90

Dabbler
Did you change any permissions recently? For all your jails to quit working at once I think you might have modified the jail dataset permissions or the jails. You also don't have enough memory to run all those jails safely. You could maybe get away with one.
So I messed up and accidentally changed the permissions of my Plex Media Server jail and it does not start. Is there any way to fix this?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
So I messed up and accidentally changed the permissions of my Plex Media Server jail and it does not start. Is there any way to fix this?
No

Backup /var/db/plexdata
delete your plex plugin
install plex plugin and setup mountpoint(s)
restore /var/db/plexdata
start plex

naq90

Dabbler
That was what I was afraid of. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly though. Lesson learned

Status
Not open for further replies.