SOLVED : strong doubt about boot from ssd

GioMBG

Dabbler
hi All,
hoping You ALL are doing well.
I post because I have a strong doubt about booting from ssd :
practically it seems strange to me that my TrueNAS make 1 minute and 30 seconds to fully charge and show options...
My pool :
ada0 / ******** / 16.37 TiB / storage
ada1 / ******** / 16.37 TiB / storage
ada2 / ******** / 16.37 TiB / storage
ada3 / ******** / 16.37 TiB / storage
ada4 / ******** / 16.37 TiB / storage
ada5 / ******** / 16.37 TiB / storage
nvd0 / ******** / 232.89 GiB / boot-pool
The question is : can I be sure, that seeing my pool, my sys booting from SSD ?
Really thanks
Giò

Last edited:

NugentS

MVP
"practically it seems strange to me that my TrueNAS make 1,30 secs to fully charge and show options..."

What do you mean?

TrueNAS uses an entire drive as its boot-pool unless you have hacked it around (in which case you are on your own)
So either you are using 6 18TB drives as your boot-pool or the NVMe drive - I know which I think is likley

danb35

Hall of Famer
So either you are using 6 18TB drives as your boot-pool or the NVMe drive - I know which I think is likley
...particularly when the NVMe drive belongs to boot-pool, and the others to "storage"...

NugentS

MVP
...particularly when the NVMe drive belongs to boot-pool, and the others to "storage"...
LOL - I didn't spot that.
As for @GioMBG 's response - it makes about as much sense as his initial post. Whatever - I won't be back here

danb35

Hall of Famer
it makes about as much sense as his initial post.
Less, actually. The first post is confusing, but he doesn't appear to be a native English speaker, and I think that accounts for it. If the issue is the time for it to boot and show the console menu, 90 seconds is far faster than my system boots (also from a SSD, though not NVMe)--heck, I don't know that my system POSTs in 90 seconds. Free/TrueNAS just doesn't boot quickly; I'm not sure it ever has, and it certainly hasn't since 9.3 when the boot device was made a live ZFS pool.

Etorix

Wizard
@GioMBG It's perfectly normal for TrueNAS to take several minutes to boot. 1:30 is faster than any of my systems, and they all boot from NVMe (some even from Optane M10!).
Don't judge a NAS appliance by the standards of a gaming desktop.

artlessknave

Wizard
server hardware and OS tend to take dramatically longer to boot, as they are usually verifying that things work correctly.
gaming PC's boot faster partly because they don't take any time to check stuff.

GioMBG

Dabbler
Thanks 2 All for the clarifications, in fact looking after the first answer that had made me doubt that I had done well to post here, I had come to the same conclusion and that it was normal that my system would take 90 seconds to perform the complete start-up . In any case, my post was not confusing at all and I had also written my set up disks in clear text to make it clear that the system boot disk was actually an SSD, last, about other annoying unlikely assumptions, it is I who do not give reply to respect this form netiquette.
Solved and thanks. Giò