So, you’ve decided to buy a Supermicro X11 Xeon E (Coffee Lake) board...

So, you’ve decided to buy a Supermicro X11 Xeon E (Coffee Lake) board...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Ericloewe submitted a new resource:

So, you’ve decided to buy a Supermicro X11 Xeon E (Coffee Lake) board... - A guide to popular Supermicro X11 Coffee Lake motherboards.

In case someone still doesn't get the reference, click here

Intel’s recent re-launch of the Xeon E line of processors, formerly known as Xeon E3, was accompanied by server motherboards, which were conspicuously absent during the initial launch. Much like the Supermicro X10...

Read more about this resource...

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yup, it's finally here, now that boards are actually showing up at distributors.

My unequivocal recommendation is the X11SCH-F, though I'm skeptical about the value proposition over an X11SSM-F with matching processor. I guess it's a decent option once 32 GB UDIMMs are supported, but the value proposition again seems dubious, compared to Xeon-D, Xeon-W or Xeon Scalable with RDIMMs. Hell, even Atom C3000 supports up to 256 GB right now...

QuickRevived

Cadet
X11SCH-F said:
It is also the first model in the range to expose all eight SATA ports.

My plan is to get a X11SCH-LN4F and install Proxmox + VMs on a M.2 SSD Mirror and then passtrough the onboard SATA controller to a FreeNAS VM.
Do you know if this is possible with that board? (Is the SATA contollor in its own IOMMU group?)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I don't, but I'd expect it to work much like a C3x C23x PCH.

Last edited:

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

nVIceman24

Cadet
What's your opinion on the X11SCA-F? I was leaning towards it, but I don't know that I'll be using the iGPU anyways, so that has me leaning X11SCH-F, or -LN4F if same price or cheaper. I didn't care for X11SCA-F sharing IPMI port and having 219 Intel NIC as well as 210.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
It's a workstation board, which means more things you'll never use.
IIRC, the IGPU can be used for compute tasks even if graphics are not in use with a C2x6 PCH.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Going through Intel's datasheet might help, but you may have to research further. Or maybe ask Supermicro.

Bizarro252

Dabbler
Hello! Are server chipsets just on a different series base? What I mean is why do for example i3 8100 and 8300 say they require Intel 300 series chipsets but when I look at these '200' series chipsets motherboard manufacturers say they are compatible?

I assume that 300 series requirement is speaking of the more 'consumer' series chipsets?

I have a C246 board and i3 8300 on the way because the Mobo manufacturer says they are compatible but I can't find any reason explaining why :)

Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
C24x is the same thing as a 300-series consumer chipset. Different name and feature set, but it is the same thing.

Bizarro252

Dabbler
Interesting thank you. Do server chipsets get features a gen before consumer based or do they just do this to be annoying? :)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
No, it is pure confusing marketing.

Monkey303

Cadet
Great article, very helpful, thanks. I was looking at the X11SCH-F, which comes in at £285, and then I noticed that the X11SCH-LN4F was £20 cheaper than the F. From what I can gather from the info here and the SM site, the only diference is the extra ethernet ports, so am I right in thinking this is a no brainer to go for the LN4F?

Thanks.

nVIceman24

Cadet
Great article, very helpful, thanks. I was looking at the X11SCH-F, which comes in at £285, and then I noticed that the X11SCH-LN4F was £20 cheaper than the F. From what I can gather from the info here and the SM site, the only diference is the extra ethernet ports, so am I right in thinking this is a no brainer to go for the LN4F?

Thanks.
Yes, that's what I did.

Octopuss

Patron
Why would a board with more ports be cheaper?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Extra stock, trickier logistics for the other model, random promotional actions... Lots of possibilities.

Monkey303

Cadet
And the cheaper one was a 2-3 week delivery from the US via an EU retailer, while the more expensive one was 3-5 working days direct from an EU distributor via the same EU retailer. Found the X11SCH-F for even cheaper elsewhere, so have ordered that, hopefully here before the Christmas holidays start.