So then this happened...no clue...help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mthakathi

Cadet
I've had FreeNAS booted up and chugging along and accessing 3 different drives since last summer. Suddenly I can't access the server at all, I rebooted and this came up (see pic). It won't respond to the mouse or keyboard and the cursor just sits there. I set the server up but am still very much a neophyte so I really don't even know what happened or what this means. Please help. Thanks.

error screen.JPG

joeschmuck

Old Man
Hardware per our forum rules?

I suspect your boot drive is corrupt or just bad. Replace the USB Boot Device (assuming you have one) and reinstall your version of FreeNAS, restore your configuration file.

If that fails to correct it then run MemTest86 on your system and then a CPU stress test, you may have a hardware failure.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer

Mthakathi

Cadet
Hi Guys,
Sorry about the hardware. I really know better...was just in a panic and thought the pic would be an "a-ha!" for someone. I did check the forums but this isn't a singular error message (to me anyway) so it was difficult to even describe the problem (ergo the pic).

This is an old audio computer repurposed for FreeNAS. It is installed on the system drive not on a USB device (couldn't make that work).
Hardware:
Tyan Thunder K8WE S2895
AMD Opteron270 2.0ghz 2mb cache Dual Core pga940
1- Seagate 80G ATA100/7200rpm (system drive)
1 - Maxtor 300G SATA 16M MX6B300So
2 - Seagate BarraCuda 7200.11 ST31000333AS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
No RAID configuration set up
Memory - 12GB Ram
I honestly don't know what the network card is.

Thanks and sorry again for the omission.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
In the future, putting a description of the problem in the Subject will attract more attention to the problem.

toadman

Guru
I too would rule out a corrupt boot disk. You can install a new version of FreeNAS (or any version you want) on a USB drive and see if it boots. If yes, then you solved the issue and can either reinstall on the boot drive, keep using the USB, or whatever. If not, move to the next stage of debug with the additional info (it won't boot on either of two drives, which would be bad).

joeschmuck

Old Man
If you cannot use a USB flash drive then I'd reinstall FreeNAS and then restore the configuration file.

Status
Not open for further replies.