Snapshots, begin, end time, and interval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sp973000

Cadet
I do not quite understand the meaning of begin and end time in snapshot creation.
I understand it this way:
Begin - is the time when snapshot can be created
End - is the time of the end of possibility of creating a snapshot. Meaning that it may take time to create snapshot and End time gives a comfort zone for FreeNAS to complete the creation. In this case it is probably better not to make End time equal to Begin time and set it it up within 10 - 15 minutes difference (for 5, 15 minutes snapshots this time should be shorter).
The Interval description is different in the Guide and in the tip (popup message when pointing to i letter). The meaning of a "tip" is what I understand better.
Could someone clarify meaning of these settings.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Begin and end time will only take snapshots during that time period. For example only make snapshots during working hours. Snapshots are taken instantaneous so you don't need any kind of buffer.

danb35

Hall of Famer
Meaning that it may take time to create snapshot and End time gives a comfort zone for FreeNAS to complete the creation.
No, not at all. Snapshot creation is near-instantaneous. They're taken every (interval) between (start time) and (end time).

Status
Not open for further replies.