Snapshot Clone Progress

KazuyaDarklight

Dabbler
Is there a way for me to monitor the progress of a Snapshot being cloned? I have a 10TB one and the dataset showed up immediately after I triggered it, but its empty and doesn't seem to find any place to track progress or know that it made the dataset but then failed or what. I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but man I can't find it. My one pet peeve with Truenas is how light to non-existent its documentation feels regarding recovery actions. Like here is how to set it all up, including backups systems but if you ever actually need to use those, good luck.

You might see a progress bar, error, and/or log by clicking on the Task Manager icon in the top right corner, then clicking on the process in question (and with a chance to download the attached log file if applicaple.) You'll find middleware processes in the Task Manager, and I believe they are listed in order of the most recent at the top.

task-manager-truenascore.png

KazuyaDarklight

Dabbler
That was one of the first places I looked, it seems so obvious that it should show up there, but I see no running processes, just a list of old 100% complete entries.

Kris Moore

SVP of Engineering
Administrator
iXsystems
Snaps / Clones are immediate, not long-running tasks... Are you sure you cloned a snapshot that has your data?

KazuyaDarklight

Dabbler
Thank you, I think this was a combination of misunderstanding on my side and an issue with the share I tried to create. I didn't realize that the new dataset would start with 0 data consumed. I think I understand the mechanisms that drive that in retrospect, but it combined with my share issue to throw me off.

Regarding the share, its a windows share with AD. This temporary clone restoration is from a replicated dataset of another machine. So FS01 and BKPFS01, we have AD setup on both machines but the clone is on bkpfs01 with plans to replicate back to the production machine later. The existing ACLs seem to no be working properly on bkpfs01 which made the share look empty. I've added additional ACLs that are giving me access, but its having to apply the update to all the files and at 10TB thats a lot of files, is there anything faster, but preferably non-destructive I should do instead?