Smb will not connect to windows 10

thebliz

Dabbler
TrueNAS is worthless piece of junk if it can not be recognized on the network to access files. i get no error message of any kind. simply does not appear. will not network with windows 10 or android 10 at all.

thebliz

Dabbler
Mod note: Merged a bunch of posts into one.

I was able for years to map TrueNAS to windows 10 and access files. now it will not. Making TrueNAS useless if I can't access files.

google has no answer.

what you are showing in this picture located on TrueNAS or Windows?

TrueNAS has no such item to check the box?

goes straight to TrueNAS GUI. shares unavailable.

i thought the whole point of TrueNAS is deposit data to the Network Attached Storage unit for retrieval by any computer on the network.

fix
how do i access my files? TrueNAS worked for two years then one day, just stopped. no rhyme or reason, no error messages of any kind, just total failure. i get no error message of any kind. simply does not appear. will not network with windows 10 or android 10 at all.
what information do you need for me to provide to you for your help in fixing this access problem??????????????????????

G8One2

Patron
Unfortunately, you're not likely going to get much help here with your issue.... If you feel its a piece of junk, TrueNas may not be for you, and you should move onto something easier for you to manage and get working. Using TrueNas takes a fair bit of technical skill, none of which many of us are going to want to take the time with you, when you cant even give us any info other than OMG IT DONT WORK! WHAT DO I DO?!!! ITS A POS!!! We cant tell you what to do if you dont have a clue on what your doing. If you did, you wouldn't be here screaming nonsense. If you can get error logs, hardware info, spec's or post some command line results out of TrueNas, someone may be able to help. You're really not giving anyone, anything to go on so they can point you into any kind of direction. We dont know whats going on if you dont. So until then... good luck.

thebliz

Dabbler
i can not access the required information because i only have access to the web gui.

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
i can not access the required information because i only have access to the web gui.
Then enable the SSH service, permit SSH root login in the service settings and learn how to use SSH. People on this forum are more than willing to help but without access to the command line there is nothing anyone could do.

thebliz

Dabbler
windows 10 will not show freenas attached to network. but andriod phone will.
FreeNAS-11.2-RC1
(Build Date: Oct 17, 2018 23:38)

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 cores)

Memory:
4 GiB

HostName:
freenas.local

Uptime:
2:49PM up 1:16, 0 users

thebliz

Dabbler
Then enable the SSH service, permit SSH root login in the service settings and learn how to use SSH. People on this forum are more than willing to help but without access to the command line there is nothing anyone could do.
where is the command line located?

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You need to have an SSH client on your desktop machine. Comes included with Windows 10, Mac OS and Linux, for Windows 7 "Putty" is the most popular one.

You need to navigate to Services --> SSH, then edit the settings to permit root login via password, enable and start the service.

Then e.g. in a Windows 10 powershell window type ssh root@<ip-address-of-your-nas> and enter the password. Once you got that working, you can answer questions like "what is the output of testparm -s?"

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
i looked but no option for netbios.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-19 um 22.52.39.png

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer

Patrick M. Hausen

Hall of Famer
You started your rant with "TrueNAS is a worthless piece of junk ..." so we all assumed that you were running TrueNAS. Which obviously you don't. May I suggest you upgrade to TrueNAS 12 first?

Demo

Cadet
Also something you should check also is the last time your Windows 10 machine updated. As Windows 10 and Android push automatic updates the problem you are having could be on the Windows side not with your FreeNAS. Unless you made a change that broke FreeNAS or updated it which doesn't seem the case from your screen shot.

Redcoat

MVP
"windows 10 will not show freenas attached to network. but andriod phone will.
FreeNAS-11.2-RC1
(Build Date: Oct 17, 2018 23:38)

Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz (8 cores)

Memory:
4 GiB"

Another issue here could be the 4GB memory- docs specify 8GB minimum. Same applies to TrueNAS 12.