G8One2

Patron
Hi

Frikkie

Dabbler
Ahoy

Frikkie

Dabbler
Win10 Smb will not see freenas. Web browser will connect.
Do you have some more info to share with us concerning your setup?
Is the SMB service binding to the correct IP address if you have set up multiple networks?
How are you trying to access the files? Via hostname or IP address?

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
Have you checked your settings under Network | Global Settings ?

1608214349782.png

thebliz

Dabbler
Win10 Smb will not see freenas. Web browser will connect. Android unable to connect.

thebliz

Dabbler
Do you have some more info to share with us concerning your setup?
Is the SMB service binding to the correct IP address if you have set up multiple networks?
How are you trying to access the files? Via hostname or IP address?
tying to map drive in windows 10 pro. single network.

ChrisRJ

Wizard

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Technically, having a server show up in Network Neighorhood is a convenience feature. It's often turned off in Windows. If you know the IP address of your TrueNAS server, you can just type in `\\<ip of server>\<share>` and access the share. If that fails, then check output of midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq to see detailed account of SMB auth attempt.

thebliz

Dabbler
Mod note: Merged a bunch of posts into one.

I was able for years to map TrueNAS to windows 10 and access files. now it will not. Making TrueNAS useless if I can't access files.

You ask your preferrred search engine for help ;-)
google has no answer.

View attachment 43517
what you are showing in this picture located on TrueNAS or Windows?

View attachment 43517
TrueNAS has no such item to check the box?

Technically, having a server show up in Network Neighorhood is a convenience feature. It's often turned off in Windows. If you know the IP address of your TrueNAS server, you can just type in `\\<ip of server>\<share>` and access the share. If that fails, then check output of midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq to see detailed account of SMB auth attempt.
goes straight to TrueNAS GUI. shares unavailable.

i thought the whole point of TrueNAS is deposit data to the Network Attached Storage unit for retrieval by any computer on the network.

fix

Last edited by a moderator:

G8One2

Patron
Idk how some of you do it, but I find the ACL manager thing retarded and hard to figure out. So I just strip all ACL's from datasets and use the regular 'ol permission manager. I created a "admin" user and put that user under the "built in administrators" group, and added aux groups of wheel, www, and whatever else you need access to. Then under the storage pools or datasets and files you want to have access to. Set the groups to "built in administrators" and enable folder mapped smb sharing under services. Then add network locations in windows that you have setup under services/SMB shares on the server. You also have to make sure folder permissions have read/write permissions under group. Kinda hard to explain i guess, hope that makes sense. I too struggle with permissions at times

thebliz

Dabbler
Hmm... then you're probably typing it in wrong (missing leading "\\") . The single-word responses make it rather difficult to understand the issue you are having.
i can not access my files on TruNAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! without Access to my files in TruNAS, TrueNas becomes useless. How do i network TrueNAS to a graphical user interface to be able to access my files. worked for years then one day TrueNas stopped working with windows 10 and android 10.

G8One2

Patron
You have to map the network drive in windows 10...... And you're not being too specific. Yep we know, you cant access your TrueNas..... Cool story bro.....

thebliz

Dabbler
You have to map the network drive in windows 10...... And you're not being too specific. Yep we know, you cant access your TrueNas..... Cool story bro.....
can not see the TrueNas at all in windows or android