SMB Stopped showing

Visseroth

Guru
List night I updated to 12.0-U3.1 and SMB shares stopped showing up on the network.

Known Bug? Should I roll back?

This is my private server so not a big setback as most the time I use SFTP but is a bit annoying when I'm trying to use SMB.

Visseroth

Guru
NetBIOS was not checked, I checked it, saved and no change.
I then turned off SMB, turned it back on, checked, no change.

Here's my SMB configuration...

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can you connect via IP address?
BTW, you should probably remove all of those auxiliary parameters. oplocks are enabled by default, read/write raw don't apply to SMB2 IIRC, and socket options can cause significant performance issues if inappropriately set (better to let kernel handle send/recv buffer sizes).

Visseroth

Guru
No, it shows as empty.
It's as if SMB is answering but has nothing to show even though I have SMB shares setup and they were working before the U3 update.
1622043225872.png

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
No, it shows as empty.
It's as if SMB is answering but has nothing to show even though I have SMB shares setup and they were working before the U3 update.
View attachment 47386
Okay. This is probably a bug that is in U3 (particularly impacts encrypted pools) that prevents systemdataset from being fully set up. Try running command midclt call smb.configure.

Visseroth

Guru
command line replied with 3823

Visseroth

Guru
That gives a lot of information.
Some about plugins I don't have installed and some about the system configuration and status though the information is quite large. I had to output it to a file to be able to look at it.

Is there anything I'm looking for in particular?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
That gives a lot of information.
Some about plugins I don't have installed and some about the system configuration and status though the information is quite large. I had to output it to a file to be able to look at it.

Is there anything I'm looking for in particular?
Status of that job. midclt call core.get_jobs '[["id", "=", 3823]]' | jq should filter out the relevant one. After the SMB reconfigure, did your shares show up?

Visseroth

Guru
No, no shares show up...

Code:
[

{

"id": 3823,

"method": "smb.configure",

"arguments": [],

"logs_path": null,

"logs_excerpt": null,

"progress": {

"percent": 100,

"description": "Finished configuring SMB.",

"extra": null

},

"result": null,

"error": null,

"exception": null,

"exc_info": null,

"state": "SUCCESS",

"time_started": {

"$date": 1622045712544

},

"time_finished": {

"$date": 1622045739404

}

}

]

Visseroth

Guru
Attached.

Visseroth

Guru
Yes...

IPC$ IPC IPC Service (Storage Server)
Media Disk
Public Disk
Software Disk
TechSolutions Disk
HAM Disk
Users Disk
CMVAdvocacy Disk
Scans Disk
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

Visseroth

Guru
Seems it somehow fixed itself after I edited one of my SMB shares and enabled "Shadow Copies".
I'm not sure if it restarted a background service or what the deal was but they are showing up now.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Seems it somehow fixed itself after I edited one of my SMB shares and enabled "Shadow Copies".
I'm not sure if it restarted a background service or what the deal was but they are showing up now.
Sorry forgot to get back to you. It might be that client cached net share enum response. smbclient command above showed that we were responding with correct list of shares (after the smb.configure).

paulbone

Cadet
Hi @anodos

I experienced this problem and my searching lead me to this forum. I tried:

sudo midclt call smb.configure

and it fixed the problem. I haveTrueNAS-12.0-U7. This problem happens pretty reliabliy on bootup, It didn't happen with an earlier version (9 or 10 I think, back when it was FreeNAS, I was stuck there for a while then upgraded to 12).

Hope this helps for a bug report.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi @anodos

I experienced this problem and my searching lead me to this forum. I tried:

sudo midclt call smb.configure

and it fixed the problem. I haveTrueNAS-12.0-U7. This problem happens pretty reliabliy on bootup, It didn't happen with an earlier version (9 or 10 I think, back when it was FreeNAS, I was stuck there for a while then upgraded to 12).

Hope this helps for a bug report.
It doesn't unfortunately. The error you're experiencing indicates that at some point during setup of system dataset things are breaking down. We already have CI and manual testing for this, and aren't reproducing it. You can file a bug report and attach a debug and that will maybe give us some clue about where things are breaking for you.