SOLVED SMB share on 13 doesn't work, exact same setup on 12 does.

Data242

Cadet
Hi there

I have a Truenas 12 running with SMB shares to my Editing workstation, where i run Media Composer. The mounted network drives works flawless with this configuration.
With the release of 13 (U1) i decided to build a new server with the same purpose. However, no matter how i share and configured ACl users etc i got a error from the application when it created folders (at least that is what i think). It "felt" like something changed in the way the permissions were set-up/handled and that the editing application does something with its file/folders access than unusually. In any case, i wasn't able to get it to work. Just to be sure i wasn't crazy i ran a 3rd server with 12 U8.1 and that worked perfectly.

I have been waiting to post about this because i could see U2 was about to get released, but sadly the same thing happened with the U2 release.

Did something radical change between 12 and 13 and is there something i could do to help find out what exactly goes on?

Data242

Cadet
What is output of testparm -s ?

Truenas 13

root@truenas[~]# testparm -s Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf Loaded services file OK. Weak crypto is allowed Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE # Global parameters [global] aio max threads = 2 bind interfaces only = Yes disable spoolss = Yes dns proxy = No enable web service discovery = Yes kernel change notify = No load printers = No logging = file max log size = 5120 nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g registry shares = Yes restrict anonymous = 2 server multi channel support = No server role = standalone server server string = TrueNAS Server unix extensions = No idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000 idmap config * : backend = tdb directory name cache size = 0 dos filemode = Yes [4kTEST] ea support = No kernel share modes = No path = /mnt/TestPool/4k TEST posix locking = No read only = No smbd max xattr size = 2097152 vfs objects = streams_xattr shadow_copy_zfs ixnas zfs_core aio_fbsd nfs4:chown = true

TRUENAS 12

root@truenas[~]# testparm -s Load smb config files from /usr/local/etc/smb4.conf Loaded services file OK. Weak crypto is allowed Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE # Global parameters [global] aio max threads = 2 bind interfaces only = Yes disable spoolss = Yes dns proxy = No enable web service discovery = Yes kernel change notify = No load printers = No logging = file max log size = 5120 nsupdate command = /usr/local/bin/samba-nsupdate -g registry shares = Yes restrict anonymous = 2 server role = standalone server server string = TrueNAS Server unix extensions = No idmap config *: range = 90000001-100000000 idmap config * : backend = tdb directory name cache size = 0 dos filemode = Yes [Data] ea support = No kernel share modes = No path = /mnt/DATAPOOL/Data posix locking = No read only = No vfs objects = streams_xattr shadow_copy_zfs ixnas aio_fbsd nfs4:chown = true

mdfr4nk

Cadet
I am very interested in the outcome of this, as my (recently upgraded) home TrueNAS 13 installation seems to be experiencing the same issue.

mdfr4nk

Cadet
I am very interested in the outcome of this, as my (recently upgraded) home TrueNAS 13 installation seems to be experiencing the same issue.
Rolling my Boot Environment back to the version of 12 that was available fixed this issue for me. I'd still like to know when this is fixed though.

Data242

Cadet

Yeah, sorry, i haven't had enough time to work on this since my post. I wanted to be 100% sure that my user setup was the same, so basically i have to do another test before i provide the debug.

mdfr4nk

Cadet
Yeah, sorry, i haven't had enough time to work on this since my post. I wanted to be 100% sure that my user setup was the same, so basically i have to do another test before i provide the debug.
No worries, I ended up rolling back to 12 so I am still functional. There was some mumblings around about an "ACL Passthrough" setting needing to be set to Strict (or the opposite), but that didn't seem to work for me when I tried it.

Data242

Cadet
No worries, I ended up rolling back to 12 so I am still functional. There was some mumblings around about an "ACL Passthrough" setting needing to be set to Strict (or the opposite), but that didn't seem to work for me when I tried it.

I redid the test with new shares and users and came to the same conclusion, and submitted the Debug files.
I am staying on T12 on my current production server, but for the future i would very much like to move to 13 and the updates for this.
With new hardware coming, especially the new AMD CPUs look interesting with integrated graphics that frees up a PCI slot + PCI lanes i am afraid that T12 won't work at some point.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Investigation showed there was an bug in an internal library for ZFS ACLs in 13 that was being tickled by the particular ACL being set by the user's application. Fix is confirmed and will be in 13.0-U3.

Data242

Cadet
Investigation showed there was an bug in an internal library for ZFS ACLs in 13 that was being tickled by the particular ACL being set by the user's application. Fix is confirmed and will be in 13.0-U3.

Kudos to anodos that fought a hard fight getting to the bottom of this, looking forward to rolling U3 on a server for testing :)

Scruffie

Cadet
I did not notice anything regarding this fix in the release notes for U3. Do you know if it was it included?