Post 12 Upgrade - Weird SMB Share bug

FlangeMonkey

Contributor
Hi Guys,

I have this odd issue with 12 post-upgrade.

I have an SMB share with 'home share' enabled, and they show as "\\nashostname\username\" I also have a share "\\nashostname\Media\". Post upgrade all the data via SMB for "\\nashostname\Media\" was appearing as the data in "\\nashostname\username\". After deleting the share and recreating it and with a needed reboot it appeared to have fixed the issue, however today I have exactly the same issue. I renamed the share to something else and it appears to have resolved the issue, once I change it back, it was resolved once again. So it's intermittent.

I have a feeling it's related to the default media user or group I have called media. Anyone got any suggestions on a means to collect debug logs for such an issue? Or if this is a none issue.

Thanks,

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi Guys,

I have this odd issue with 12 post-upgrade.

I have an SMB share with 'home share' enabled, and they show as "\\nashostname\username\" I also have a share "\\nashostname\Media\". Post upgrade all the data via SMB for "\\nashostname\Media\" was appearing as the data in "\\nashostname\username\". After deleting the share and recreating it and with a needed reboot it appeared to have fixed the issue, however today I have exactly the same issue. I renamed the share to something else and it appears to have resolved the issue, once I change it back, it was resolved once again. So it's intermittent.

I have a feeling it's related to the default media user or group I have called media. Anyone got any suggestions on a means to collect debug logs for such an issue? Or if this is a none issue.

Thanks,
This was a bug in upstream samba. We fixed it for U1. You can rename your "media" share to something else.

FlangeMonkey

Contributor
Thanks for the info but it's a shame this isn't in the release notes for known issues.

Unfortunately, I cannot rename it, it's linked to too much stuff. Is this resolved in the nightly's?

runevn

Explorer
I have the same issue. However, I only experience it on my Windows machine. On my Mac I have no problem. I can mount all my shares also my "Media" share.

ETH

Cadet
Hi Guys,

I have the same problem, but it is not limited to the 'media' share for me. There are also other shares affected, e.g. 'syncthing'.
Furthermore it is not limited to Windows and also occurs on Linux clients.

Renaming does not seem to work, as I experience this problem with different share names.

Is there a known work-around or do I need to wait for 12.0-U1?

Thank you!

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Hi Guys,

I have the same problem, but it is not limited to the 'media' share for me. There are also other shares affected, e.g. 'syncthing'.
Furthermore it is not limited to Windows and also occurs on Linux clients.

Renaming does not seem to work, as I experience this problem with different share names.

Is there a known work-around or do I need to wait for 12.0-U1?

Thank you!
This is the case for any share that has an identical name with an existing user.

ETH

Cadet
This is the case for any share that has an identical name with an existing user.

Would it be a workaround to delete the user names temporarily and to work based on IDs instead? Would e.g. disabling the user 'media' allow to mount the 'media' share? Did anybody try this?

Would it be possible to post an announcement here, if U1 has fixed this bug? -- Thank you in advance!

ETH

Cadet
I have the same Problem. @ETH Did you workaround work?
@anodos Do we need the user "media"?
Hello ude6,
sorry I have been shy to try this out as this system is holding all my important data and I did not want to mess it up.
I will probably wait for U1 and try again in December. I can post results for U1 after testing.
Regarding the user 'media' this seems to be a system account and cannot be deleted from the WebGUI. Probably deletion would require editing system files. Typically if you do not log in as this user, the system will still work based on the UserID. But as mentioned: This is just the theory and I did not test and confirm this. A patch of Samba would be preferred in any case. Waiting for U1 seems to be the better option for me.
I really wonder why such an important component has such a severe error. Freenas had been quite stable all the time before.
Best regards
ETH

ETH

Cadet
Truenas 12.0-U1 is out. Did anybody try out whether this Samba bug has been solved with U1?

ETH

Cadet
I am too impatient and have tried 12.0-U1 in the meantime:

Good job iXsystems! The Samba bug described here is solved.

I will stay on and try out 12.0-U1 after a very stable 11.3-U5.

Nevertheless for the next major release upgrade I will wait for U1 to appear ;-)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I am too impatient and have tried 12.0-U1 in the meantime:

Good job iXsystems! The Samba bug described here is solved.

I will stay on and try out 12.0-U1 after a very stable 11.3-U5.

Nevertheless for the next major release upgrade I will wait for U1 to appear ;-)
It's generally better to help us by testing your particular use-case in a VM, that way you can report issues so that we can fix them. This particular issue was fixed due to the bug report and help of a community user like you. :)

ETH

Cadet
It's generally better to help us by testing your particular use-case in a VM, that way you can report issues so that we can fix them. This particular issue was fixed due to the bug report and help of a community user like you. :)

Thank you for the advise. I will try out next time.

And thank you for maintaining this great tool for community users like me.